PDA

View Full Version : Medium weight fabric,what weight pinking?

gizmos
01-07-2013, 09:58 AM
What weight pinking are you using if you cover the plane with medium weight fabric?

Jerrytex
01-07-2013, 10:11 AM
I am half way done with my wing tank re-install and I decided to use Medium weight fabric for the repair. However, I had a bunch of light weight tape left over from a previous repair so I used the light weight tape over the medium fabric and it worked just fine. Polyfiber manual ok's it as well.

Also on a sidenote, I think if I ever did another fabric recover, I would go with the medium fabric. It seems like it is easier to work with. Less tearing when I rib stitched and it seems to tighten more evenly. My 2 cents.

t j
01-07-2013, 10:40 AM
I covered wings and control surfaces with medium weight fabric with light finsh tapes and made the doilies out of light weight fabric.

I used round rib lacing cord to get that vintage aeroplane look. The light weight tapes and doilies are much easier to smooth out over the round cord than the medium tapes I tried first and the light weight doilies much easir to apply over the inspection hole rings.

gizmos
01-07-2013, 01:36 PM
Here is the felt with stewards glue

birddog486
01-07-2013, 03:32 PM
Were you able to buy the felt from a fabrics store or was that from stewarts?

inzersv
01-07-2013, 05:32 PM
The Stewart CDs tell you to get the felt from the fabric store.

mr bill
01-07-2013, 06:58 PM
I used medium weight fabric for covering, with light weight pinked tapes, except I did make tapes from medium weight fabric for the high wear areas (door openings).

jiott
01-07-2013, 07:32 PM
The SS7 kit comes with medium weight fabric for everything, and light weight finishing tapes.

Jim