PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Avid or Kitfox in flying condition

Twister
09-25-2012, 09:04 PM
I'm open to what-have-you, including trailer, floats, etc. Have Outfitter popup camper for possible trade.

Peteohms
09-28-2012, 06:30 AM
Saw a Kitfox II forsale on Barnstormers for around 7,000+/-

Timberwolf
09-28-2012, 09:38 AM
That's the first time I've ever seen metalized wings on an avid. Anyone else ever seen that?

Av8r3400
09-28-2012, 01:19 PM
Pretty unheard of. There's many reasons not to do this:

Weight
Riveting skins to wood ribs is not a good idea
With the amount these wings flex (by design) there will be a great deal of stress on the joints most likely causing cracking.
Weight
On an Avid the ribs stick through the [skin] to hang the flapperons, just like the Kitfox 1-3 does. How would this be done on metalized wings without causing chaffing damage to the rib tails?
Weight
... more??

avidflyer
09-28-2012, 06:20 PM
It all depends on what is meant by metalized wings. On many of the Avid Mk IVs, they put a piece of aluminum about 18" wide on the top of the wing from the front spar back. It keeps the fabric from sinking in between the false ribs and stiffens the wing a bit also I think. Both of my MK IVs had this feature. Here is a picture of when I recovered my plane, and dyou can see the aluminum under the fabric. Take care, Jim Chuk

Timberwolf
09-28-2012, 08:36 PM
I know I'm getting a bit off topic, but usually "metalized" refers to covering the entire surface of the wing in aluminum sheet such as is seen in a C150 or the such. But my original thought was along with av8r where it just isn't really feasible or desirable with a wood structure underneath. I'd bet the leading edge aluminum is what he is referring to, in which case it makes perfect sense. Thanks guys

Twister
10-20-2012, 04:18 PM
UPDATE

I'm still looking. I want a Kitfox 5 (or 4 if the price is right) in perfect flying shape with 912, and a trailer--not necessarily together. Prefer wide gear and Riblett wing, but not the speed wing.

Twister
11-10-2012, 08:38 AM
UPDATE

I'm still looking. I want a Kitfox 5 (or 4 if the price is right) in perfect flying shape with 912, and a trailer--not necessarily together. Prefer wide gear and Riblett wing, but not the speed wing.

UPDATE

I'm still learning. If I understand the Kitfox folks correctly, ALL kitfox wings are based on the Riblett airfoil, and none have leading-edge slats.

It's unlikely that I'll be able to afford a 5, so may have to settle for a 4, but if it's a simple enough panel and the airframe and engine have enough hours on them to drop the price (I expect to pay a fair price; I just don't want to pay for things I don't need) far enough, I might be a buyer, since at my age it's unlikely that I could fly enough to wear out a newer one anyway. I don't care about bells and whistles and aesthetics; this is to be a working LSA airplane. I am interested in the possibility of floats and a trailer.

I'm going to AZ next week to look at some Kitfox aircraft.

I've been pretty much talked out of considering an Avid.

Twister
11-10-2012, 08:41 AM
I know I'm getting a bit off topic, but usually "metalized" refers to covering the entire surface of the wing in aluminum sheet such as is seen in a C150 or the such. But my original thought was along with av8r where it just isn't really feasible or desirable with a wood structure underneath. I'd bet the leading edge aluminum is what he is referring to, in which case it makes perfect sense. Thanks guys

I'm confused. I thought I was posting to classifieds, but it looks like I ended up on a technical discussion. Can somebody tell me what I did wrong?

Av8r3400
11-10-2012, 09:33 AM
Take no offense, Twister. Almost everything here eventually turns into a "technical" discussion. That's just the kind of crew that hangs around here.

:D

Twister
11-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Take no offense, Twister. Almost everything here eventually turns into a "technical" discussion. That's just the kind of crew that hangs around here.

:D

I'm not offended, just confused. As a "newbie," I'm not yet spun up to full speed.