PDA

View Full Version : Instrument panel installation on hinges?

gizmos
01-03-2013, 07:00 PM
I have a RV-6a that I would like to kill the person that designed the panel. Nothing is removable for service, I have the sliding canopy and you have to stand on your head to work on the back of panel. Has anyone installed the panel with hinges on the bottom so the panel will fold down? Or make the panel in section for removal or servicing? I am almost ready to cover and looking to see if any other mods are needed before I close it up. Thanks for any photos or design drawings

airlina
01-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Gizmos,I thought I'd be a smart guy and put hinges on my panels (pilot and copilot) and it worked great until all my wiring was done, then I could hardly open them. I have a Series 5 and my whole top cowl is removable (no bonnet) so I find the back of the panel is fairly accessible once I remove the cowling. Bruce N199CL

mcomeaux
01-03-2013, 07:19 PM
I've seen where a person did a "floating Panel" he called it.
I know what you mean about access. I had a 6A slider and
to do anything on the backside was a tough. I got stuck on
a couple of occasions and thought I'd have to be rescued.
Both sliders & tips have their minus & plus's. Good luck.....

gizmos
01-03-2013, 07:19 PM
I am building a kf vixen, do you have photos? I am sick of getting under my RV -6a panel, the simples thing takes for ever, I have to remove seat just to squeez under it, I will not have the same issue with my kf. Wires are so tight, they pulled pins out,

jiott
01-03-2013, 10:23 PM
I did not use hinges, but I am building my panel so it will rotate 90 degrees on to some simple wood brackets I made to support it. I am wiring it in the rotated, face down, position with the wire bundles located so they will allow the finished panel to rotate up into position. This should allow easy access for service, since I plan to permanently (rivet) install the boot cowl and seal it around the firewall. The pictures show what I am doing.

Dorsal
01-04-2013, 07:28 AM
Looks pretty smart, wish I had done that.

n85ae
01-04-2013, 10:43 AM
I can get at everything (more or less) by taking my cowl off. If I need
to do major surgery I'll remove the windshield and glareshield. I think in
the Kitfox the hinged panel would be nice, but not a real need to have
item.

Regards,
Jeff

gizmos
01-05-2013, 10:02 PM
Joitt,
Now that is what I am look for, what did you put into your panel, hope its everything I want. Maybe I will get pattern so I can do mine when I am ready, it looks Great!!

jiott
01-05-2013, 10:41 PM
My panel includes the following:

Dynon Skyview 10"
Garmin SL40 radio
PS Engineering PM3000 intercom
Vertical card magnetic compass
ELT remote switch
Glovebox w/USB port inside for Skyview
Low fuel and Alternator charge indicator lights
Pilot & Co-pilot headset jacks
12v power socket
Two fresh air eyeball vents
Keyed start switch
Toggle switches for: master, avionics, cabin heat, nav lights, strobe lights, landing light.
Circuit breakers for: Alternator, Start, Strobes, Nav, Landing, Heater fans, accessories, trim motor, EFIS, ICOM, COMM, Xpndr.
I have an AutoCad drawing for this panel that I can send to anyone who wants it. I gave the drawing and the blank panel to a laser cutting shop and they cut out all the openings perfectly accurately for about $95.

Jim