PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone covered the top of kf and eliminate the sky light?

gizmos
01-03-2013, 06:53 PM
After watching steward covering , I saw where he covered the interior with fabric. Has anyone cover the interior, eliminated the sky lite or covered the front triangles on the top with fabric? I know this would take away some vision.

rogerh12
01-03-2013, 07:26 PM
I covered my glass (exept the front windshield) with automotive window tint plastic. It made a big difference on sunny days and was easy to apply (just wet it and apply).

avidflyer
01-03-2013, 10:39 PM
I like being able to see out of the top of the plane. In a turn, if you are banking at all steep, you can see into the turn over the top of the wing instead of it blocking your view, especially to the right. Have to be a bit steeper to the left... I didn't put the windows in behind the doors though. Take care, Jim Chuk

gizmos
01-03-2013, 10:51 PM
I think I will do both, auto Toni sound great, I can alway remove if I don't like it, the window behind door, I could not figure why it was installed. Maybe light in storage? I am leaving it out. Thanks for the help

SkySteve
01-04-2013, 09:21 AM
I find the windows behind the doors useful when on downwind in the pattern so I can glance back and see the runway threshold so I know when to turn base.

HighWing
01-04-2013, 09:38 AM
the window behind door, I could not figure why it was installed. Maybe light in storage? I am leaving it out. Thanks for the help

I think sometimes things are done for aesthetics. The window just continues the bottom angle of the door rather than giving the side of the airplane a chopped look. I agree that functionally it is not needed. And I have always had a problem turning my head 180° so have never looked at the rudder through the turtle deck glass, but the looks are classic Kitfox.

One thing to consider covering the overhead structure. I use the tubing a lot as a hand hold getting in and out of the airplane and shifting in the seat during long flight legs.

Visibility? I much prefer the open butt rib and #1 rib. When I built, the manual called for covering this area with a small window exposing the sight tube. A nice varnish job on the exposed ribs looks much better than any fabric job I have seen and it is possible to see the fuel through the tank end. One of the Arizona guys made a set of butt rib to door closeouts that fit on the outside that I have used twice. I doubt they are currently available - picture.
Lowell

SkySteve
01-04-2013, 09:58 AM
Lowell,
What is the black material made out of?

HighWing
01-04-2013, 11:03 AM
Steve,
I am not sure, but it is the material that is used for heat formed panels like those around the windows on commercial jetliners. I think the man that made them was in that business. The panels were very nicely shaped with a curved edge that wrapped around the above door tubing. It was trimmed to fit and glued to the tubing and the lower butt rib cap strip. I left it black because my interior tubing is painted black, but the material will accept paint.

One other thought on interior fabric. Several friends have used fabric with some added tubing to form the outside of the baggage area. It looks great and is strong. I chose not to do it that way because it pretty much permanently closes off that area of the airplane. I feel a bit more comfortable being able to see as much as I can during the annual inspection.
Lowell

desertfox1
01-04-2013, 11:18 AM
The material is thermoformed ABS. Murle williams had the idea
20 years ago, I built the mold and there are a lot of them in use.
Sure simplifies the closeout one the model 4.

Phil

mr bill
01-04-2013, 12:01 PM
Are these parts still available and if so, what is the cost?

Av8r3400
01-04-2013, 04:21 PM
Google Murle Williams aviation. He is still in business but these parts aren't on his website - doesn't mean they don't still have them, though.

Geowitz
01-04-2013, 05:31 PM
Instead of using the supplied aluminum doublers where the lexan rivets to the top of the butt rib I used wider aluminum. 016 sheet about 1 inch wide. This made a 1/8 inch tall shelf on the butt rib. I then bonded strips to each side of the middle support to create a shelf there too. Haven't had to do it yet because of the weather, but on each half of the roof I can slide a sheet of something on top of the shelf and below the roof, like tinted lexan, or even cardboard to create a shade. This way it's removable. Should make more sense in the pics.