PDA

View Full Version : Fixture to hold fuse during construction

gizmos
01-03-2013, 12:42 PM
I am looking for a design or one built fixture to hold fuse/ wings during covering. I have built fixture to hold wings like tropicaltube did on his website. I would like a fixture like the one steward systems uses on his DVD .if anyone has one for sale or drawing showing construction , would be great.

Dave S
01-03-2013, 02:03 PM
Gizmos,

Probably several ways to do this.

I didn't have a lot of room; but, didn't spend much either.

For the fuselage. I started with a wood cross bolted to the front - then did the fabric on the sides/bottom; and, the finish through the final top coat on the bottom while leaving overlaps on the sides so that could be done later with the fuse upright. photo 1898

With the fuse upright, I made a small wood dolly to fit under the gear attach points so the fuse could be easily rolled around and moved. photo 9193

for the wings, I fabricated a some large wood washers, took a hard rubber ball that would fit in the spar tube - drilled a hole in it and clamped up the end of each wing to the 2x4 as you see it in the above photo. That made a firm grab bar that could be either carried or screwed to a light dolly as shown in photo 9491. Each wing could be rolled around this way till it was complete.

Dave S

Dorsal
01-03-2013, 05:05 PM
I used a pair of saw horses for covering both the fuselage and the wings.

gizmos
01-03-2013, 06:16 PM
The fuse is where I was really having some issues,this gives me some ideals.

Av8r3400
01-03-2013, 07:11 PM
I am currently using an engine stand for the front with a piece of scrap steel going across the engine-mount bolts. On the back I am using a modified jack stand that allows for swivel, mounted to the tailspring pad.

This setup allows for rotation and locking into that position at any angle. Makes working on the plane very easy.

gizmos
01-03-2013, 07:13 PM
I got two engine stands, did not even think of them!, must had my head in the sand

War Eagle
01-03-2013, 09:51 PM
We built a rotissorie type stand for the wings as well as the fuselage. Allowed us to rotate and lock in any position to work on.

Assembly as well as painting.

gizmos
01-03-2013, 10:54 PM
Great stand,I think I will make the rear same and modify one engine stand for front