PDA

View Full Version : Sikaflex 295uv adhesive for doors

SkySteve
04-03-2009, 05:32 PM
I have just had custom acrylic tinted bubble doors made for my Kitfox. I am considering using Sikaflex 295UV adhesive to bond the acrylic to the door frames rather than drill holes and install with rivets.

Has anyone used this method? Thoughts pro and con are appreciated.

Cwehner
04-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Haven't heard of using adhesive. I'm in the process of installing my bubble doors as well and have decided to use riv"nuts". That way I can drill the holes a little larger than the 8-32 bolt and only put as much tension on them as I want. Will also make changing them out very easy if I ever had to.

Chris Wehner
Tulsa OK
Kitfox IV, 912

Dorsal
04-04-2009, 04:33 AM
I followed a suggestion from the McBeans and used 3M panel mounting tape and a few screws at the corners, looks good, can post pictures if you like.

SkySteve
04-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Dorsal, I would love to see the photos of your door installation. Please post. Thanks.

lbushrod
04-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Last year replaced all my glass. Started with the preformed lexan windshield and decided to replace my doors also where I had some cracks from original pop-rivet installation.

A friend who knew plastics suggested that I tap holes in my frame to 6'32 then drill 1/4 holes in the plastic. Taking a 1/4 od plastic hose I cut grommets and inserted them into the glass. I used stainless 6/32 screws with a stainless washer which freely went through the grommet to attach.

The therory is that the point of contact will float somewhat under tension and eliminate cracks. It has been over a year and 150 hours of flying with no discernable problems.

A touch of blue loctite will prevent the screws from coming loose.

I am sure there are glues and adhesives that will work but my mind wonders what would happen if they ever came loose, like in turbulence.

I like this site and appreciate what I am learning.

Pete

Dorsal
04-04-2009, 03:03 PM

I used SS Sheet Metal scews with a touch of Hysol, I also oversized the holes in the plastic. I like Pete's idea of using gromits.

Cwehner
04-11-2009, 10:18 PM
Just did the Bubble doors on my Kitfox IV the last few nights. Thought I would post pics of the doors done with rivnuts. The holes through the plex are a little larger than the 8-32 bolts and under the metal washers I used a rubber washer. Each door took 3 hours including trimming and fitting.

Chris
Tulsa OK
KFIV, 912 90% Done

Dave F
06-07-2013, 10:39 AM
Sikaflex is high end stuff-------- for doors

over size the holes in plastic and rivet them.
simply.

rivnets would work as well but more work and a tad more weight.

tommg13780
06-07-2013, 02:10 PM
I just finished my doors a few weeks ago. The fasteners are stainless sheet metal screws with a metal/rubber washer similar to that used for corrugated metal roofing. Also the 3M rubber tape was used in between the door tubing and the acrylic.

I have a friend that is a metal fabricator and uses sikaflex to bond translucent fiberglass to aluminum or steel for outside skin on trailers for hauling trikes. He's had very good results. The fiberglass comes in sheet form and it's intended application is for the roof on over the road trailers.

I'm not so sold on my method because the screw heads protrude quite a bit but it does seem to be satisfactory.

Esser
06-09-2013, 05:28 PM
Can you buy black blind rivets?

Geowitz
06-09-2013, 06:12 PM
Here, but they have a larger flange. Meant for custom baffling installs. I have a few left over and the diameter of the flange is about 9mm. Might not be enough grip length on these particular ones though. Not sure of they have a longer version. Put a piece of tape over the tip of your rivet squeezer to prevent scratching the flange.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/rivet4ab.php?clickkey=561274

akflyer
06-11-2013, 07:46 AM
I just ordered a bunch of Rivets from www.boltdepot.com They may have what you are looking for in the oversize heads. I did not get painted ones but I got alot of closed blind rivets for some work on my floats and oversize heads for replacing my windshield and door lexan.

jtpitkin06
06-11-2013, 09:00 AM
With all things on airplanes I like to think about maintenance and eventual replacement of any component.

I attached my door plastic with 3M auto trim mounting tape and soft aluminum rivets. The holes in the plastic were drilled oversized to allow for expansion. Rivets were placed about 6 inches apart. Removal is simple drill out the rivets and use dental floss to slice through the foam tape. Clean up with denatured alcohol.

The soft aluminum rivets were cushioned under the head with nylon washers to spread out the load. No cracks or splits.

Having used Sikaflex on boat through-hull fittings I can attest it is nearly impossible to get off after a few years aging. It hardens to a substance resembling melted tennis shoes.

If you want colored rivets, anodize them. It's easy to do at home with a battery charger. You can find instructions with a simple web search.

John Pitkin
Greenville, Texas