PDA

View Full Version : Tail ski

12-29-2012, 02:26 PM
I have been flying my Kitfox IV on skis for a few years now but have never had a tail ski. I have made one up and it is ready to install. What I am not sure of is, Should the wheel ski be rigged in a way that it can free caster and turn or can it be mounted locking the ski and wheel in a straight line. Comments and pictures would help me out. Thanks.

Pieter

airlina
12-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Pieter, I think you will find the tailski to be a great addition. I flew with my tailwheel installed my first year of ski flying , but once I made up the tailski and started using it , I will never be without it. My maneuverability increased dramatically , and in deep powder the empennage floats on top instead of digging in. I simply attach it over the existing tailwheel and leave the turning ability enabled which allows nice tight tuns in the snow. I am including some photos from my ski installation folder - hope they help, have fun Bruce N199CL

avidflyer
12-29-2012, 05:22 PM
My tailski also pivots just like the wheel did, don't notice it unlocking, but it certainly helps to keep the tail from digging in as was mentioned. When I put the ski on, I remove just the wheel and use the rest of the Maule setup. I pull a drag up and down my strip with a snowmobile to keep the snow level and get rid of the ruts, and a wheel does leave a deep rut that the tailski doesn't. Used that tailwheel 10 times in the last 3 days and hopefully it will get more use tomorrow. Take care, Jim Chuk

Av8r3400
12-29-2012, 07:18 PM
This is my tail ski. It's an Airdale (http://www.airdale.com) design. It allows for steering and even castering. This design is available for Maul and Matco design wheels.