PDA

View Full Version : Ordering add'l covering supplies

Jch
12-28-2012, 03:29 PM
How many quarts of poly brush and poly spray are needed for the ss7? I need to order more poly brush and I wanted to add the poly spray and some bias tape to the order. Thanks. I am almost finished with one wing and the elevator and am partway into the horizon stab and rudder. Having fun!

Dave S
12-29-2012, 07:50 AM
Hi Jeff,

Thought I'd take a shot at your question. There are a couple sources of this information which will help a person. I am a little hesitant to use my own material consumption for covering because I have only been involved with covering a couple airplanes and my experience may not necessarily be representative.

1) If a person has the poly fiber manual, there is a section on estimating the quantity of materials in the book. In my opinion, the poly fiber manual is very straight forward; and, an essential reference for using their products.....reasonably priced too....and in plain, understandable English.

2) If a person gets on the web, go to the poly fiber website...they have a list of their representatives located regionally. I have found that the local rep, who also does aircraft covering as a business, had extremely accurate information on any question I had....a lot of good tips too.

The chemicals can be a little deceptive since a gallon of PB or PS is mostly composed of solvents. Doing it right takes more than a person might think at first. I was a bit surprised about how many gallons it took. particularly the Poly Spray. The deal behind the polyspray is to protect the fabric from the sun.....If a person can see a trouble light through the fabric (pretty good test)...another coat of Polyspray is needed.

The two resources indicated above are a person's best friend on accurate information for the product.

Sincerely,

Dave S
KF7 Trigear - Flying
912ULS Warp Drive
St Paul, MN