PDA

View Full Version : Subaru on kf5

gizmos
12-14-2012, 11:09 PM
Do you have to sweep the wings if you install the subura engine on kf 5 vixen? I am building mine for a 912 but I see lots of subura on kf. I see there has been numerous mishaps with this engine. Anyone flying this set up? If so, what domyou think and where did you get the engine. What is the weight difference between the subura vs 912 100hp? Love this site, this forum gets great feed back...is there anything to beware of on these engines?

jiott
12-15-2012, 10:08 AM
There is lots to beware of. Do a search on this site for Subaru and you will find quite a bit of reading material.

Jim

rogerh12
12-17-2012, 12:03 AM
The Subaru engine is used on a number of planes, including Kitfox and Avid flyers. There are several versions, and range in installed weight between 235-325 lbs, depending on HP. The Rotax 912 install is usually at least 100 lbs lighter, but then agian the engines get good gas milage and are cheap to buy and maintain (everthing is a trade off !!!!). The Avid guys in Florida really like them, as they can take the heat and still produce full power.

Hope this helps
Roger