PDA

View Full Version : Kitfox Christmas shopping

Dave S
12-14-2012, 04:26 PM
So many of us who fly are also outdoors folks. What better way to gather Christmas gifts than to fly to Cabela's in Owatonna, MN what with the accommodations and hospitality they provide for folks who fly in. KOWA has a really decent field, new arrival building and Cabela's will send a courtesy van to pick up arrivals at the airport; and, bring you back to the 'port when you are done shopping and eating...no charge for the van. For eating, one has a choice of venison, bison, elk, wild boar or walleye among the more usual fare. They also have a huge variety of animal mounts around the store to look at....more than I can enumerate plus an aquarium featuring midwest gamefish.

The Notam on departure for 21D said something about "BA poor"...but one learns not to use the brakes on the KF anyway:)

Our Driver from Cabela's was Mike:cool:

A few of the animal mounts in the store:eek:

Climbout and looking back at KOWA field:D

We had a recent thread on the list regarding operating temperatures....here is what the panel says with OAT of 33F and one piece of "500 mph" tape over the oil cooler.. BTW The Ground speed as reported on the GPS is down a bit due to a 10-14 MPH headwind @ this cruise altitude.

Lake Billsby west of Cannon Falls....the lake is the result of a hydro dam and provides a lot of recreational usage

Pig's eye lake south of St Paul.....named after a person, not a pig....:o

Turning Final back at K21D:)

Back at the hangar....that is how much tape was on the oil cooler for maintaining temps...also....the "BA poor" seems not to have changed much on the ramp.

Sincerely,

Dave S
KF 7 Trigear - Flying
912ULS Warp Drive
St Paul, MN

SkySteve
12-14-2012, 06:11 PM
Hey Dave, what Page is that in your 2000c? And which info options are on your display? I usually use the map page with compass overlay.

Dave S
12-14-2012, 08:10 PM
Hi Steve,

The selection is "Digital map" from the menu.... the digital display on the left side is: Ground speed, Distance remaining, Bearing, Track, off course, travel time remaining to destination, position error. The bottom gives the current position in long/lat coordinates. It has been a while since I set this up, but, if I recall, a person can select which parameters they want to display for the digital data. These selections pretty much give me what I want.

I always think it is sort cute that the "position error" usually runs around 25 to 35 feet....I mean what the heck....remember the error in the old Omni VOR systems?.....The GPS systems are really great compared to what we once used.

Sincerely,

Dave S

jrevens
12-15-2012, 09:42 PM
That's great, Dave! Thanks for sharing the pictures! Cabela's in Sidney, Nebraska is a favorite destination for many of us in the Denver area. Same set-up - they send a van to pick you up and everything. Nice cafe in the store. Flying out of KBJC, it's about 1:15 in a Kitfox, 50 minutes in a Thorp.