PDA

View Full Version : K5 anyone install larger elevator

gizmos
12-12-2012, 06:08 PM
I am building a k5 vixen and was told to install larger elevator. Has anyone done this? I was also told you can put the k7 manual trim on the tail, why would you want to take off the electric trim?:confused:

Esser
12-12-2012, 06:39 PM
The kitfox 5 has a large trim tab on the elevator which can decrease elevator effectiveness. If you go to the kitfox 7 system the trim is controlled by an electric jack screw that moves the whole horz stabilizer up and down. There is a thread on this mod. I will see if I can dig it up for you.

Esser
12-12-2012, 06:41 PM
http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=2977&highlight=trim+tab

The kitfox 7 doesnt have manual trim.

n85ae
12-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Mine is a Series 5 with IO-240B it has the variable incidence tail (jackscrew)
it works fine, I have plenty of elevator authority. Don't need gap seals, more
surface area, etc. My only complaint is that the trim is a bit sensitive, but
with a higher quality switch than the stock switch at the time I got mine I find I can tap it into trim pretty easily. My only thought with the plane is it
could use a tad bit longer fueslage which would smooth out the nose
wandering when it's bumpy out. I think the wingspan to fueslage length
ratio is a bit out of kilter.

Regards,
Jeff

The kitfox 5 has a large trim tab on the elevator which can decrease elevator effectiveness. If you go to the kitfox 7 system the trim is controlled by an electric jack screw that moves the whole horz stabilizer up and down. There is a thread on this mod. I will see if I can dig it up for you.

airlina
12-12-2012, 07:17 PM
I am building a k5 vixen and was told to install larger elevator. Has anyone done this? I was also told you can put the k7 manual trim on the tail, why would you want to take off the electric trim?:confused:

Don't know what year your Series 5 is, but mine is 1999 vintage and my elevator trim is the stabilizer jackscrew arrangement and not a trim tab, with the factory supplied elevator. I have found this setup works fine although I did add the trim assist kit to get rid of that bit of stick pressure with flaperons deployed. I have enough elevator for all flight regimes with my configuration. Bruce Lina N199CL

Dave S
12-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Welllll..... Yes and no on the manual trim on a 7

The Current Supersport has the electric jackscrew on the HS.

Some of the KF 7's have manual trim tabs on the elevator.......controlled by a lever in the console. The HS is fixed with a rod in place of the jackscrew.

Attached photo is a Kitfox 7....manual trim.

Dave S

Dorsal
12-12-2012, 08:13 PM
My 7 had manual trim, I switched it to electric.

BigJohn
12-12-2012, 08:24 PM
gizmos,

I responded to your private message, and as stated I have the Mod 5 and changed to the larger elevator and it made significant difference especially on landing flair and with the tail wheel version even on a shorter roll to get the tale up. I do have the electric jack screw trim on the Horiz Stab. I wouldn't go back to the smaller elevator now especially on short field operation.

kmach
12-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Hi,
I am wondering what the dimensions are of the model 7 elevator ?

I would like to measure my model 5 and see what I have.

I have some difficulty with elevator authority when I use full flaperons on approach, trim (jack screw) is maxed out and allot of manual pressure is required to keep things steady, and not much left at the flare.So much that I don't use full flaperons.

I am thinking that a slower approach would lessen this, or maybe the larger elevator would be the fix.

thoughts?

Av8r3400
12-13-2012, 06:01 AM
My IV-1050 has the same problem. Slowing the approach only makes it worse.

The choice is more speed with less flap, lengthening your landing roll or modify the tail feathers for more authority at low speed (what I am currently doing on my project plane).

BigJohn
12-13-2012, 08:56 AM
I still have my stock elevator if anyone is interested in purchasing it, It worked fine but as I mentioned I wouldn't go back to it after the 7 elevator that I now fly, it does make significant difference on slow flight response if i remember it is about 4" deeper than the stock. Truly gives you the response you need for very slow approach landing and short field operations.

War Eagle
12-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Welllll..... Yes and no on the manual trim on a 7

The Current Supersport has the electric jackscrew on the HS.

Some of the KF 7's have manual trim tabs on the elevator.......controlled by a lever in the console. The HS is fixed with a rod in place of the jackscrew.

Attached photo is a Kitfox 7....manual trim.

Dave S

X2. Mine has the manual trim

gizmos
12-14-2012, 07:48 PM
I posted another thread hoping someone has a 7 elevator, thanks everyone for the input:rolleyes: