PDA

View Full Version : Music through headset?

peanut
11-22-2012, 12:56 PM
Is there a plug in play device that allows one to listen to an iPod while flying, yet interrupts during incoming radio? Often times I fly for hours on end with maybe 6 radio calls coming in. A little music at a low volume might be nice. But not drowning out any " mechanical" sounds that one needs to be aware of...

Dorsal
11-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Like this?
http://www.pilotblulink.com/
Also several of the good ANR headsets include this feature.

peanut
11-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Hmmm ok. That's a pricey little bugger. That looks like a nice setup though.

MotReklaw
11-22-2012, 04:26 PM
I had a plane with an intercom that had a music input (not stereo) that would automatically blank on incoming/outgoing transmission.

Forgot the name but I could probably find it. it was prolly around 175.00. I had to have an intercom anyway, so this fit the bill.

DanB
11-22-2012, 06:51 PM
Peanut,
I went with the PS Engineering Intercom (P 1000) It does a good job of canceling out the music when the mic is keyed or someone talks. then a nice feature of the music fades back to set volume. Mine is the mono and if I had to do it again I would get the stereo model (I think the P 2000)

http://www.ps-engineering.com/pm1000.shtml

Av8r_Sed
11-22-2012, 08:47 PM
I'm using a Lightspeed Zulu 2 headset linked to my iPhone via Bluetooth for music and voice runway alerts from ForeFlight. It doesn't just mute, but pauses the music during radio calls, then resumes afterward. It's really designed well. Also, the Zulu's have a separate volume control for the Bluetooth.

The only problem is the cost, but it's pure enjoyment how everything works together.

n85ae
11-22-2012, 09:41 PM
I have a Garmin audio panel, which accepts audio input, only problem , I simply cannot fly and listen to music ... Don't know why, just don't like it.
Guess I like hearing the drone of the motor.

Regards,
Jeff

cap01
11-23-2012, 12:24 AM
Jeff , got to agree with you about the music in the cockpit . I do have the capability with a ps engineering intercom but have never used it . Guess maybe I'm just not a music person.

Pilot4Life
11-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Only a quick comment regarding the Lightspeed Zulu...original models. I have 60 in my office and I've sent 25 of them back to Lightspeed for repairs on the Mic boom assembly. The housing breaks super easy! No issues with getting them fixed, other than the hassle of shipping and waiting, and all the "repaired" headsets are functioning great! Those that use the Lightspeed love it, those (like me) with a rather large head that doesn't fit under the headband, are left to the Bose X. I'm ordering 30 Bose A20's and am working with BOSE to get a product with Bluetooth. I'll keep y'all posted!

Not quite two cents worth....maybe 1/2 of .01.

jrevens
11-23-2012, 10:24 PM
Bose has had a Bluetooth option on the A20's for awhile now.

I do like the Zulu 2's ... they fit my head well, and comparing them directly with the Bose at OSH makes me lean towards them functionally & audibly also.

Pilot4Life
11-23-2012, 10:42 PM
Sorry, should've been more clear. It's not that I'm working with Bose to develop a Bluetooth product, but rather the "X's" I currently use don't have Bluetooth and I will be ordering A20s with Bluetooth! Didn't mean to cause confusion.

A lot of the folks I work with love the Zulu but my fat head doesn't fit in it. So it's the Bose A20 for me!