PDA

View Full Version : Show Off Your Upholstery

Esser
11-05-2012, 06:08 PM
I know this is a way off for me but I have been thinking about what I wanted to do for my upholstery. I thought it would be nice to have everyones pictures in one place. So post your pictures and provide some details on material etc. Looking forward to seeing them.

ken nougaret
11-07-2012, 09:53 AM
i'd like to see this thread get lots of replies too.
ken

vixenrookie
11-07-2012, 02:40 PM
me three, exspecially custom done upholstery or homemade. im at that point in my build, do i buy from kitfox? have it done? do it myself? $$$$$$$

Dave S
11-08-2012, 05:48 AM
Esser & all,

We went the route of making our interior. Seat cushions, console cover, door panels. Shopping around for materials and DIY definetly is the least expensive.

Total out of pocket was less than $75. I don't have any good photos; but, the foam and zippers for the cushions were the most expensive part. Got some remnants from the fabric/upholstery shop (they have surprisingly large pieces of good quality fabric left over from large rolls at bargain prices) .......was able to find the right color.... a plain gray plus a ribbed fabric with a slightly darker color of gray...all of which matched up with the gray lacquer I used on the seatpan and glareshield.

Fortunately a Kitfox has pretty straightforward interior upholstery needs with flat/square and other uncomplicated shapes.

Used the two styles of gray fabric for the seat cushions and sewed in zippers so the seat covers could be removed from the cushions for washing if I spill my coffee.

Door panels used the same two styles of gray fabric sewed to match the lines of the cushions. For the door panels, just laminated the fabric onto a thin aluminum sheet to fit between the square door frame tubes.

Also fabricated some boots for the control sticks out of the plain gray fabric.

Center console was covered with matching gray Marine vinyl (the coffee thing again....) and attached with an appropriate adhesive (gorilla snot, AKA contact cement.....holds better than upholstery spray glue).

All depends what a person has and wants to do; but, making the interior yourself is definitely the least expensive way to go on out of pocket.

Sincerely,

Dave S
KF7 Trigear
912 ULS Flying

MotReklaw
11-08-2012, 12:00 PM
We didn't make ours this time. Was expensive, but looks good. I just got it yesterday and laid it all out on the ground. I'm don't know what some of the pieces are, but I'm sure they go somewhere.

chefwarthog
11-08-2012, 08:44 PM
It's look very nice..... but the back cushion seem a bit thin...an inch or so?

Esser
11-09-2012, 05:51 AM
Looks nice. I wonder if you can order it without the Logo. I don't really like the logo and it would be nice to put something else there.

MotReklaw
11-09-2012, 07:39 AM
Chief, I'm on my way out of town, but will measure it when I get back. I didn't measure it but it looks like 2" to me.

Esser, it is custom made, so I'm sure you can order it that way. Probably be cheaper too. I don't think you can see it in the picture, but there is also a "Kitfox Aircraft" embroidered below the "Fox". Looks great!

cap01
11-10-2012, 02:17 PM
Just happen to have my extra seat cushions at home here in the closest . The backs are pretty thin , 1 1/4 for the top half and 1 1/2 for the lower half where the bumps are . The bottoms are thin also only 1 inch foam where your butt is . I took the left bottom to a upholstery shop and had it redone with 2 inches of memory foam . Makes for a better ride without the butt getting numb

chefwarthog
11-10-2012, 05:50 PM
One inch only.... I have hunting cushion that have the same thickness to sit on in my treestand, more then an hour without start dancing my butt around!!!!;)

Geowitz
11-10-2012, 06:25 PM
Lost my in process pictures, but basically I went to the local fabric store and got 1 and 2 inch foam. 1 inch for the backs, 2 inch for the bottoms. I cut out the foam to fit the seat pan - 2 bottoms and 2 backs. Then got samples and eventually ordered fabric from this place - http://www.rockywoods.com/ - Lots of different types and colors. I gave the cut out foam to my sister and described what pattern I wanted. She basically made covers to fit the foam pieces using batting with a quilting process for the red area to give it some depth and make the raised portions. We then sewed velcro to the undersides and stuck velcro to the seat pan. My only change would be to use memory foam at least on the bottoms. I have a bunch of matching fabric to eventually do the cargo area.

chefwarthog
11-11-2012, 09:29 AM
Geowitz, is this leather? it seem to be hot for the butt, with all the light that can come through the skylight and windshield.... artificial suede?

Geowitz
11-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Nope, not leather. It's one of the medium weight nylon fabrics like Cordura, the backpack material type stuff. - http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Kits/Medium-Weight-Nylon-Fabrics

The red part is the same general type of fabric, just has the diamond pattern.

chefwarthog
11-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Geowitz, you have to tell your sister that she done a nice job on your seats!!!;)

kitfox5v
11-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Geowitz, Looks great. I may get her to sew mine. I like the look. When We gonna get together? If you can fly up one weekend I'll pick you up and show you my 5. just getting started really and could use some advice. Give me a call. Eddie:)

HighWing
11-15-2012, 09:02 PM
Thought I would post mine. I opted for lightweight and home brew. The padding is one inch memory foam with covers made from some fabric we found in the remnants bin at a fabric store a looong time ago.

The first one who recognizes the fabric and PMs me with an address will get something in the mail just for fun.
Lowell

Esser
11-16-2012, 07:04 AM
Very Flashy Lowell. I like it. Thanks for all the pictures so far guys.

SkySteve
11-16-2012, 10:02 AM
I'm thinking of re-doing the foam in my seats. I see some people using 1" and some using 2" bottom seat foam. Some using regular foam and some using "memory" foam. I have to admit I know nothing about cushion foams. Why do some of you use what you use? What are the differences?

HighWing
11-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Steve,
I said I used memory foam, but it was actually some stuff I found at a surplus metals place. It was a blank that is used to punch out the soft sponge like ear plugs. It has the consistency of memory foam. I used the thinner material simply because a buddy advised it. It was a case of headroom or not. I find that at my age it is more how my back feels than the old bottom. From my pics, you can see that I put some stuff in the lumbar region. I was in sort of a hurry to fly off the 40 hours so in the later flights, I spent a bit of time in the air and it was my ankles and lower back that let me know when it was time to take a stretch.
Lowell

SkySteve
11-16-2012, 08:41 PM
Thanks Lowell for the explanation. What I am thinking about is a wedge 2" or so thick in the rear and 1" thick in the front. The cut angle would be on the bottom of the foam so the top of the seat would be somewhat flat. That would provide more foam in the butt area where my weight is and less foam behind my knees. I'm also considering a hole along the rear foam edge in the center of where I sit to release pressure on my tail bone. I would glue a strap across the back of the hole to hold the left and right sides from spreading apart.

kebopa3
11-16-2012, 09:23 PM
Steve,
You may want to take a look at this link; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f24kj03oEmo it may give you some ideas as to how to build up your cushions, etc. This is pretty much the way automotive upholstery is done. While having a walking foot sewing machine is great the same thing can be done with an old garage sale Singer if you adjust the foam and fabric thickness.

kebo

SkySteve
11-16-2012, 09:52 PM
Wow! Pretty fancy seat...and in only 3.25 minutes. :o. Probably a bit more advanced than I had in mind.

Tom Waid
11-17-2012, 06:47 AM
Steve,
While having a walking foot sewing machine is great the same thing can be done with an old garage sale Singer if you adjust the foam and fabric thickness.

kebo

Quite true but, if I were looking for a sewing machine to do upholstery, I'd start by looking for a old commercial walking foot or compound feed machine. (I'd first check to see if a sewing machine shop would rent me one.) Years of making boat canvas has spoiled me.

t j
11-17-2012, 07:04 AM
Lowell,
Southwest Airlines.

MotReklaw
11-17-2012, 11:53 AM
The seat bottoms I bought from Kitfox are just over 1" in the rear and just over 2" in the front. This is to relieve pressure on the back of your legs. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Here's a picture:

HighWing
11-17-2012, 12:01 PM
Quite true but, if I were looking for a sewing machine to do upholstery, I'd start by looking for a old commercial walking foot or compound feed machine. (I'd first check to see if a sewing machine shop would rent me one.) Years of making boat canvas has spoiled me.

This is just like deja-vu all over again. In the early 80s I restored a genuine antique automobile - 1923 Marmon 34 Four Passenger Coupe also known as a Dr's Coupe. I rented a walking foot sewing machine for the upholstery and after two rental periods it was love and I ended up buying it. It is a great machine and when I was talking to the guy at the shop, I asked how thick a piece of leather I could sew with it. The answer was, "what ever will fit under the foot". I sewed quarter inch thick leather for the handles of the steamer trunk that rode above the back bumper. I used it in my Kitfox upholstery.
Lowell

HighWing
11-17-2012, 12:04 PM
Southwest Airlines.

Tom, You are on the right track, but going to wait a bit longer. So far, though the prize is yours.
Lowell

Tom Waid
11-17-2012, 04:30 PM
This is just like deja-vu all over again. In the early 80s I restored a genuine antique automobile - 1923 Marmon 34 Four Passenger Coupe also known as a Dr's Coupe. I rented a walking foot sewing machine for the upholstery and after two rental periods it was love and I ended up buying it. It is a great machine and when I was talking to the guy at the shop, I asked how thick a piece of leather I could sew with it. The answer was, "what ever will fit under the foot". I sewed quarter inch thick leather for the handles of the steamer trunk that rode above the back bumper. I used it in my Kitfox upholstery.
Lowell

Absolutely first class!!

HighWing
11-19-2012, 09:33 AM
No one guessed the source of my fabric, but tj was very close. It was the fabric used in the First Class cabin of United Airllines in the late 80s and early 90s. I worked there during that time as a SOR which translates into the guy who puts all the passenger, baggage/freight and fuel info together to provide the Manifest which incudes W/B info for trim - a real challenge on the wide bodies with the multiple arms designated for each container. My wife still is an international FA. We found the fabric while shopping once and had to buy it with no real purpose in mind than the family thing.

tj - PM me your address and I will send you something I make for a son's shop in St. Augustine. It will make a Christmas gift for a lady in your life.
Lowell

jtpitkin06
11-20-2012, 07:46 AM
Thanks Lowell for the explanation. What I am thinking about is a wedge 2" or so thick in the rear and 1" thick in the front. The cut angle would be on the bottom of the foam so the top of the seat would be somewhat flat. That would provide more foam in the butt area where my weight is and less foam behind my knees. I'm also considering a hole along the rear foam edge in the center of where I sit to release pressure on my tail bone. I would glue a strap across the back of the hole to hold the left and right sides from spreading apart.

Sky,

You've actually got it backwards. A good seat design spreads the weight over the whole bottom. You want the support under your thighs. This will take weight off your tailbone. You can try it first with foam wedges and pads before you spend money on upholstery. Put padding in your seat pan so you only get support under your butt and it gets hard in a hurry. Turn the pads around so you get support under the thighs and it is much better. Depending on your physical size you may also want to increase the outer thigh support with the edges higher than the center.

The back should be formed to provide support, too. Lumbar support at the lower back will keep your spine straight and roll your hips forward. That also takes weight off the tail bone.

If you want to experience a horrible seat design try sitting in an AAL Super 80 coach seat. No thigh support, dished back for rounded spine with no lumbar and a protruding headrest that kinks your head forward. Anything more than a two hour flight is like sitting on a picket fence, sideways.

Airplanes are a poor place to look for comfortable seat examples. Go to the local auto dealer row and check out seats in some new cars. Find a seat that suits you and note the support areas, seat pattern, materials and size.
Because we have a size constraint in the Kitfox I would look at sports cars and high end luxury compacts. The auto seats are a good place to check out styles, colors and patterns, too. Take your digital camera to record the ones you like.

John

MotReklaw
11-20-2012, 08:53 AM
That's what I was trying to point out in the picture of the seat bottom I posted, John. When you distribute some of that pressure to the back of your thighs you lesson the amount on your tailbone.

I am a two hour max occupant in a small plane.

HighWing
11-20-2012, 09:01 AM
As I was flying off the hours at Lincoln one of the guys - retired UAL captain - recognized the seat fabric and the conversation turned to fire retardant as that fabric obviously was. Should this be an issue?
Lowell

ken nougaret
11-20-2012, 09:44 AM
i was wondering about the fire resistant issue as well. i went to a local automotive stereo shop that does auto interiors. they said there are certain fabrics they can order that they can request to be sprayed with a fire retardent. i visited them on the weekend and they said they would have to call their manufacturers to find out which ones will do it. so i'll be checking back with them sometime on a week day.
i know as experimentals we're not required to stick by the fire resistant rules, but i figure it's not a bad idea.
ken

MotReklaw
11-20-2012, 10:06 AM
You can 'roll yer own.' I would have to look up how it's done, but a lady showed me how to do it several years ago. She ran a Part 141 school and was pretty up on her regs. It's a mixture of several locally obtained ingredients.

I think leather is naturally fire resistant isn't it?

dholly
11-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Good info on seat construction and comfort at: http://www.oregonaero.com/seat-systems/features-benefits

jtpitkin06
11-20-2012, 07:40 PM
The tests for certified aircraft fabrics and cushions are pretty simple. The basic test is a 3 inch by 12 inch sample held in a frame vertically. A flame is applied at the bottom for 12 seconds and then removed. The fabric must not burn more than 8 inches and must self extinguish.

Our non-certified aircraft can use any material; but it’s not a bad idea to check how your prospective fabric choice might behave in a fire. Some of the fabrics I thought were really nice turned out to be huge fire hazards. One product looked like a good floor covering. It is sold as a drip mat for garage floors or as a tool box drawer liner. It’s a nice charcoal gray color, light weight and looks like indoor/outdoor carpeting. Plus, it cheap! So I bought some at the auto parts and cut a strip for burn testing. Once lit it burned and dripped like a roadside flare. Not good for my airplane. Well, at least I have a lot of tool box liner material.

The quantity of material required to do a Ktfox is so small that getting certified fabric is not very expensive.

You can make a fire retardant at home by mixing 3 tablespoons of borax in a cup of boiling water. Soak your material and let it dry. The borax only works if you keep the material dry. If it gets wet the fire retardant washes off. Also, the mix works only with fabrics that char. It does not work on polyester fabrics as the fabric melts and drips away from the borax.

I did find a company http://www.dfwairparts.com/aircraft-upholstery

that sells remnant fabrics and leather from corporate jet installations. There is no FAA certification with it, but it is already treated with fire retardant and it’s perfect for homebuilts. The stock changes every week, so check back if you don’t see something you like. Search on Ebay for “aircraft upholstery”.

John

War Eagle
11-27-2012, 08:34 PM
I looked for pictures that I had that would show off the upholstery and found that I didn't really stage any pictures to show that off. However, I did find some pictures showing some of the upholstery so I am attaching here.

I used certified material every where in the plane because I didn't want to have the chance of choosing something that would offgas bad things or that would support a flame in case of a fie of some kind.

I had my seats custom made using the thermal memory foam. I used three different desities in my seat cushions and two different densities in my seat backs.

I didn't have a head room issue so I wanted to have maximum cushion in the seat and raised the sides a little to help hold you in the seat. I also had a cut out made in the seats to facilitate moving the stick to the full aft position without running into any seat interference.

The fiberglass seat shell is covered with the same material as the console and the dash so as to provide a coordination of color with the seat cushions. It is a more course material than what is on the seats.

The seats are covered with very fine grained material that looks like brushed leather (but it's not real leather).

Esser
11-28-2012, 05:47 AM
Looks good John

chefwarthog
11-28-2012, 07:10 PM
Now John those are cozy seats that you have!!!

There seem to have 2'' thick cushions?

You have a professional looking Upholstery!!!;)

Eric

War Eagle
11-28-2012, 07:28 PM
The cushions are 2" on the backs and 3" on the seats.

With the thermal foam they form up around you to make a nice body fitting form.

chefwarthog
11-28-2012, 07:51 PM
A professional looking interior like yours, I will have to have one juste like that!!

Because my girlfriend has some fear to clim aboard a fabric airplane...:(

So I think a good looking Upholstery will calm her down....:rolleyes:

Like they say.... If it's like to fly.... it will!!!:D

Eric

HighWing
11-29-2012, 09:51 AM
John,
Since seeing your console in the Show me section, I have been wanting to ask. Do you push the trim control forward to raise the nose? That is what the placarding suggests.
Lowell

War Eagle
12-01-2012, 05:08 PM
Yes, that is how the trim tabs are rigged. Forward is nose up and back is nose down.

jdmcbean
12-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Yes, that is how the trim tabs are rigged. Forward is nose up and back is nose down.

John, That would not be correct and should be changed...

Trim knob being pulled back should simulate the stick being pulled back.. so trim knob back - nose up.. stick back - nose up...

Not to confuse the trim tab direction.. Trim knob forward the trim tab would move up--- deflecting the elevator down thereby nose down...

LSaupe
10-25-2014, 04:46 AM
Thought I might start inject into this one, though I know it is a bit old.

My wife would like to fabricate the inetrior for out Model III. Any on-line good sources out there for the close cell foam and fabric materials that someone could recommend?

Larry S.

WWhunter
10-25-2014, 06:00 AM
For foam, personally, I would get tempur/confor type from Jim fix at http://www.seatfoam.com/ He is the guy that sells the foam in pieces at Oshkosh. There are a couple of other places but Jim is a small business guy and very honest to work with. WIck's and AS sell it also I believe. I wouldn't use plain old close cell from a fabric store as it doesn't seem to have the support that tempur form provides. all opinion of course.
For fabric just do a search for aircraft fabrics but Airtex is one of the bigger suppliers that I know of. Their fabrics are aircraft approved, ie, flame retardent.

ken nougaret
10-25-2014, 06:02 AM
I work on corporate jets and know that the seats use foam from "Skandia". I took a seminar at sunnfun and the lecturer recommended the same. So i ordered 2 densities from them. Not cheap though. And shipping was $85. Total bill was nearly $300.

ken nougaret
10-25-2014, 06:13 AM
Some pics.

Paul Z
11-07-2014, 10:34 PM
Mine look like this. My daughter gave me Snoopy when I purchased the plane. High tech boost to allow me better sight picture since we converted her to a Tail Dragger is from an REI blow up pad about 1 inch thick.

We didn't make ours this time. Was expensive, but looks good. I just got it yesterday and laid it all out on the ground. I'm don't know what some of the pieces are, but I'm sure they go somewhere.

inzersv
01-06-2017, 01:20 PM
12160For those of you that have the factory upholstery, how did you install the pieces that go to the seat pan? Anyone have any photos of that part of the install? In particular, I am wondering about the three pieces that look like wings Two of the pieces are alike and one is slightly different from the other two. I will try to post a picture of the pieces.

JohnB
01-06-2017, 02:34 PM
12160For those of you that have the factory upholstery, how did you install the pieces that go to the seat pan? Anyone have any photos of that part of the install? In particular, I am wondering about the three pieces that look like wings Two of the pieces are alike and one is slightly different from the other two. I will try to post a picture of the pieces.

Here are a few pics the may help. The one that is different is for the center section of the seat and the others are for the sides. The center piece took some work to get glued down and smoothed out with out wrinkles but came out nice in the end.

inzersv
01-06-2017, 04:08 PM
Thank you JohnB, that is exactly what I needed to see. I kind of thought that was the case but just wanted to be sure. What did you use to glue them on with? I have been using 3M spray glue, Some say it works and others aren't so sure?!

JohnB
01-06-2017, 04:41 PM
I also used the 3M spray glue. So far it's held up well.

jiott
01-06-2017, 06:05 PM
3M spray glue is also what I used and the factory recommends. It works good, but it is similar to contact cement, after the pieces contact you can't adjust. That said, it was not too difficult.

jiott
01-06-2017, 06:08 PM
A tip I learned the hard way: You spray both surfaces, but don't spray very heavy on the fabric, otherwise it may soak thru in spots and leave visible evidence on the finish surface.

TJay
01-08-2017, 04:37 PM
Any body got the measurements of those nice looking seat cushions that kitfox sells, I would like to see if they would fit in my Model 1 seat pan, Front and rear measurements of the bottom seat cushion would be really nice thanks TJay Larsen,

inzersv
01-09-2017, 08:36 PM
TJay, I will be at the hanger tomorrow and will get the measurements for you. Mine are for the Super Sport.

TJay
01-10-2017, 05:44 AM
thanks i am curious,

inzersv
01-11-2017, 07:47 PM
TJay, my apologies, I couldn't make it to the hanger today and now I won't be back for a week or more. (Heading to Idaho for training with Stick & Rudder). Can someone help him?

TJay
01-11-2017, 07:55 PM
No hurry guys if some one has a set laying around just take a few measurements and post them if you would. Thanks