PDA

View Full Version : Kitfox Racing

cubtractor
11-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Entered in the Grove 125 Air Race this weekend at KGMJ. Didn't know what to expect but had a lot of fun. Of course I was the only Kitfox in the group, let alone the only one under 150 mph. :) I ran a short course which was about 50 miles around compared to 125 for the rest of the group. I didn't win 1st, 2nd or 3rd considering the winner ran 320 mph but I did win the Flying Pig Award for the slowest airplane which I was very proud of. lol

I launched first for the short course and then the fastest plane launched behind me for the long course. We both crossed the finish line within 5 seconds of each other. He was smokin fast!!

Like I said, it was a lot of fun and would do it again in a heartbeat.

http://sportairrace.org/id498.html

MotReklaw
11-04-2012, 03:16 PM
Prettiest award I've seen all year!

Thanks.

DesertFox4
11-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Nice trophy Mike. Congrats. Glad you had a good time. :)

Why do I have a sudden craving for bacon?;)

Dorsal
11-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Awesome! glad you made a showing for the Kitfox community.

inzersv
11-04-2012, 07:31 PM
I am so jealous. I would have done it in a heartbeat. Awesome!!:D

GWright6970
11-04-2012, 07:49 PM
Far out!!! Nothing like just "plane" having fun!! Good for you!! :)

DesertFox6
11-04-2012, 09:36 PM
RED HOT CUBTRACTOR!! SIERRA HOTEL!!!

I think we need a lot more of this sort of thing in our hobby. We used to have an air race with several "horsepower" divisions out here in the wild, wild west: The Copperstate Dash was held annually at the start of the EAA's Copperstate Fly-in here in Arid-zona. It started in Apple Valley, CA (I think) and ended at an airfield NEAR wherever the fly-in was being held that year; it moved around quite a bit back then. Something to do with the law, I think...:rolleyes:

Anyway, the race divisions all had names: The less-than-100 horsepower division was called the Peter Pan (or was it Tinkerbell?:confused:) Division and Kitfoxes usually took that division hands down; one guy won it fairly regularly as I recall, and that was with an 80-horse 912 Model IV Speedster!

I'm thinkin' your mount deserves a "kill marking" on its cowl commemorating this auspicious moment in classic air race history. If you'll work on something fitting, I think I'll design a faux-instrument "Fun-Meter" for us to stick on our panels!

I'll make sure the needle is depicted as "pegged" to the "Max" position! ;)

"E.T."

kmach
11-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Outstanding ! I really enjoyed your story !

Had the first real good laugh of the day , thankyou :)

Bacon sandwiches are on the lunch menu