PDA

View Full Version : bleeding the leaking

HansLab
11-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Gentlemen-builders, I need some help once more: bleeding the brakes is done all right. However: the fluid reservoir (Matco) keeps leaking. I removed it, put the T-nylo-flow in again sealed with HighTack - but it keeps leaking. And with no pressure in that reservoir...;-((

What can i do??

DanB
11-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Gentlemen-builders, I need some help once more: bleeding the brakes is done all right. However: the fluid reservoir (Matco) keeps leaking. I removed it, put the T-nylo-flow in again sealed with HighTack - but it keeps leaking. And with no pressure in that reservoir...;-((

What can i do??

Hans, Sounds like things have loosened up. You might give some plumbers tape a try, but brake fluid may eat the stuff...not sure. Best thing to do might be to replace the T-fitting. If it still leaks, then you know the reservoir threads are shot. :(

HansLab
11-04-2012, 02:29 AM
Dan I guess you are right: tried all three exits of the T; all of 'm leaking.
Is there (besides plumbers tape, it is eaten..) any rubber grommet that I can try before ordering a new fluid container? - it takes some time to get it over here - and all this time the brakelines are disconnected ;-)

Av8r_Sed
11-04-2012, 07:06 AM
I originally used teflon tape on my brake fittings but experienced bad leaking. i removed all traces of the tape and resealed with HighTack and have had no leaks since then.

kitfox5v
11-04-2012, 07:15 AM
:Brake fluid will eat teflon tape.:eek:

HansLab
11-04-2012, 08:39 AM
my HighTak was eaten, as well..;-(

HighWing
11-04-2012, 09:03 AM
Hans,
Have tyou checked the master cylinder for cracks . That might be a possibility. I am interested in the brake fluid eating teflon comment. Both my Model IVs - first one 900 hours over nine years and current one only about six months with brake fluid installed were sealed with teflon tape and no leaks to date. Which brings up another thought. The aviation fluid recommended is different than automotive fluid. Are you using the right brake fluid?
Lowell

kitfox5v
11-04-2012, 10:08 AM
Good point Lowell, Dot 3 and 4 does'nt like teflon in my uses on the farm. maybe treads are cut too deep. That happens if the pipe tap used is dull.:confused:

HansLab
11-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Tx for thinking with me: I am using the right fluid (mil 5606 h). In fact I put all possible solutions in a can filled with the fluid - so, give me a few days and I Will report the findings. In my case, teflon would be most helpfull. Let's see if the fluid doesn't wat it.
Concerning too dep threads: I tried all three parts of the T: all of them leaking.

jrevens
11-04-2012, 04:07 PM
:Brake fluid will eat teflon tape.:eek:

Teflon tape is not affected or "eaten" by brake fluid. However, a common problem is improper application resulting in the possibility of getting particles of the tape into your system. That is why many people recommend avoiding it with aircraft pipe thread fittings in general.

jtpitkin06
11-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Hans,

I would definitely use MIL 5606 fluid in your Matco Brakes. It is non-corrosive and very heat resistant. The red dye in it makes leaks easy to find.

For sealing your leaks use Permatex Pneumatic Hydraulic Sealant Part Number: 54540. It is available all over Europe but you may have to order it at your local auto parts. I can't recommend using teflon tape with the risk of pieces breaking off and wroking their way into your brake system. the last thing you need is to have a brake lock up. It gets really exciting if you lock a brake in a tail dragger.

John

jiott
11-04-2012, 10:00 PM
A couple of comments: Mil 5606 is really not a brake fluid, it is an aircraft hydraulic fluid. Of course a brake system is a hydraulic system and many aircraft (including Kitfox) use 5606 in the brakes. The 5606 is a high quality mineral based oil, totally different from automotive "brake fluid". The 5606 should be compatible with any sealant normally used in oil lubrication or hydraulic systems.

I am using the Permatex Tack & Seal 9AR (80938) that the Kitfox manual recommends for the fuel, oil, and water systems. My project is not flying yet, so I can't claim anything about leaks yet, but I do believe that this stuff is totally compatible with oils, fuel and water.

Jim

t j
11-05-2012, 06:37 AM
All three ends on the T sealed with high tack and leaking under no pressure tells me some non compatible fittings may have gotten into the system by mistake.

I put teflon tape on my brake fittings 12 years ago and no leakes ever.

GaryNo
11-06-2012, 02:40 PM
On my SS7 w/Grove Brakes , I called Grove and they use "TiteSeal" part #T25-66 on their brake systems w/ mil 5606 hyd. fluid.My friendly A&P recommended TiteSeal.:)