PDA

View Full Version : Firewall Material

Tom T
10-24-2012, 06:47 AM
Well, as I await arrival of my new Kitfox project, (7 orphaned kit) I've been working through a list of items to check before continuing the build.

Can anyone confirm the material used in the firewall to be stainless steel? Without the build manual this information is a little hard to find.

Arrival via Partain should be about Halloween, then I'll get some pictures up and get going on details.

Thanks for the grreat forum.
Tom

MotReklaw
10-24-2012, 07:02 AM
My SS kit has a stainless firewall. Tough as the dickens to trim....

:)

jtpitkin06
10-24-2012, 07:11 AM
You've mentioned lack of a manual a few times. Why not purchase a build manual, eh? There's lots of valuable info in those pages.

John Pitkin

jimcarriere
10-24-2012, 07:23 AM
My SS kit has a stainless firewall. Tough as the dickens to trim....

:)

A related, and equally wonderful, characteristic of stainless is just when you thought you had finished dressing all of the sharp edges... a few days later your fingers somehow find yet another tiny little sharp *****ly piece of metal sticking out, right when you least expect it! :eek:

Esser
10-24-2012, 07:28 AM
Is there a lot of trimming for the firewall?

ken nougaret
10-24-2012, 09:33 AM
the firewall comes with an outline of where to cut; about an inch off the perimeter. it's like the instrument panel came outlined. i used a zip wheel. like tommy said, tuff to cut.
ken

Tom T
10-24-2012, 09:49 AM
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. To Johns point, I do have a build manual but it's in the truck with the airplane ;-). I'll have it next week with the project arrives, but I've been filling my days with planning project details.

Thanks again!
Tom

jiott
10-24-2012, 10:31 AM
The SS firewall that came with my SS7 kit required no trimming; only cutting a couple holes for pass-throughs.

Jim

High Country
10-24-2012, 03:36 PM
What is the ideal thickness for the SS. I have the old galvanized one and want to replace it with SS

MotReklaw
10-24-2012, 03:44 PM
The SS firewall that came with my SS7 kit required no trimming; only cutting a couple holes for pass-throughs.

Jim

Lucky guy.

MotReklaw
10-24-2012, 03:45 PM
What is the ideal thickness for the SS. I have the old galvanized one and want to replace it with SS

I'll check my docs tomorrow and let you know. It seemed like .016 or .020, but I need to check.

Durham66
04-21-2020, 12:46 PM
In the Kitfox IV manual, I find the page that shows you the dimensions of the upper halve of the firewall. I don't however, find the dimensions of the other parts needed to construct the firewall. Not sure what I'm missing here!? :confused: