PDA

View Full Version : Mgl v6

HansLab
10-15-2012, 10:28 PM
Just unpacked box from Aircraftspruce containing MGL's V6 radio: unbelievable I paid that amount for so little apparatus ;-), so light, so small and (in the box) so simple.
Wiring in my KF is now about 80%: still 80% to go.
Man - am I curious to the moment that switch will light up my panel...
Keeping you posted!

Esser
10-16-2012, 04:57 AM
I am planning on getting the V6 so I will be interested to hear what you have to say about it.

ackselle
10-16-2012, 03:15 PM
MGL V6 is Sweet! Some nice features, very compact, easy to install....works well.

HighWing
10-18-2012, 04:55 PM
I have the V10. The V6 was not out when I bought. I sure like knobs, though I guess I can get used to pushing buttons. So far it is good. My ground crew during the first flight said I sounded fine.
Lowell

fly3g
11-26-2012, 04:16 PM
I recently installed a V6 in my IV. Seems to work great, I am using Zulu and Halo headsets with it. Have to tweak the settings a little bit to optimize. Nice features, allowed me to ditch my intercom and the weight of the comm radio. As mentioned the thing weighs nothing, the bundle of wires coming from it probably weigh more than the radio box. Have my Dynon D10 and 496 GPS talking to it. The Dynon gives AOA and autopilot alerts and the 496 can download radio frequencies to it direct. Stereo input comes across nicely as well. Has a frequencyt monitoring function as well but haven't really used that yet. Was lucky, routed all those wires and it worked on first try. Still haven't had a chance to see what the transmit range is but for sure is working in the airport pattern environment. Thumbs up so far.

cubtractor
01-15-2014, 05:59 PM
Hey guys, I'm considering the V6. Is it still working well?

fly3g
01-15-2014, 06:02 PM
Still happy with mine.

G

HansLab
01-17-2014, 07:25 AM
Working fabulously! Knobs are as ideal as one might expect. Screen is readable in bright sunlight. No separate intercom, KISS & a mighty bunch of facilities all together.
Zennheiser ANR with Bose connector, nicked antenna underneath belly (antennaplate) (Antenna is bought nicked - it didn't nick due to location.. anyway)
The two holes now contain a Garmin 296 and a Trigg 21 Tx

cubtractor
01-18-2014, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I ordered mine yesterday.

HighWing
01-24-2014, 11:24 AM
Went up with a friend today and he said my transmossions were very noisy with what sounded to him like wind noise. It subsided as I thirottled back for downwind and landing.

How do you guys have your mike settings.

SkyPirate
01-24-2014, 01:39 PM
I had that problem with my model 2 Lowell,,it turned out to be a connection,,I cleaned them all in the process of trying to find the source,..even replaced my PTT ,, it was eliminated after I was done, I didn't do it one connection at a time and test,..I just did them all since I was into it,I had also added a .500 capacitor to reduce static

HansLab
01-25-2014, 04:24 AM
I too had 'engine-noise'. I made sure the VOX was OF, and made the VOGAD some less sensitive (factory VOGAD MED2). From that moment on no comments - or people just are too polite...;-))

HighWing
01-25-2014, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the notes. I don't think it is a wiring issue as I can cover the mocrophone with my hand and the noise stops as it does as I reduce airspeed. I was thinking it was the settings on the radio that were the issue. I set the microphone sensitivity to the noisy invironmemt setting and will test that Monday. It just was not an issue with the V-10 nor the Bendix King I had in my first airplane.

The question also was prompted by a freind who has the V-6 and doesn't like it because of the microphone sensitivity. He also has the Flightline FL-760 in another airplane and seems to prefer it because of the microphone sensitivity issue.

I guess I am somewhat revealing my age, but I really don't like all the gimmicks and gadgets on all the new stuff. Example - I went to Sun N Fun last year and met up with four other guys there. Two of us shared one Motel room and the other three shared another. On leaving for the airport the morning of our last day, the guys in the other room found thier car's engine running when they went out to load their luggage. Apparently the keyless "gimmick" the driver had in his pocket was close enough to the car - parked in front of their ground floor room - that the car ran all night after we returned from dinner the night before. We guessed the driver forgot to push the stop engine button on the remote after leaving the car. I sure like keys, though we did learn a little bit about fuel consumption at idle.

cubtractor
01-30-2014, 04:10 PM
Got the V6 radio installed today. Still have to finish up the wiring.

SkyPirate
01-30-2014, 06:44 PM
Sweet !! Cant wait to hear it on the airways :)