PDA

View Full Version : Avionics

jeffbock
10-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Just got the Dynon AOA (nonheated) pitot and wondering how to install.
Talking an SS-7 I'm building and looking at the pitot I see no mounting holes or hardware. Assume I will fabricate a bracket in the wing and separately stick the pitot to a plate which will be fastened to the bracket.
Any advice welcome. Thanks, jetjock

Tom Waid
10-12-2012, 02:37 PM
You may see what I did here (http://tropicaltuba.com/Kitfox%20Project/Kitfox5.htm#Pitot Mast). Since my kitfox is not completed and the pitot is not in its final position I can't say that my solution is the best. I'll know that when the kit is finished.

DAT
10-12-2012, 06:40 PM
I also have the same question but my KF 5 is finished and flying and I'm adding the Dynon with AOA. I have the normal pitot that can be removed. Do I order the boom or regular pitot? I'd still like to be able to fold the wings.

Thanks

DAT

jiott
10-13-2012, 12:36 PM
I also bought the Dynon AOA pitot tube (unheated) for my SS7. The Dynon pitot fits a standard pitot mast. I got the one sold by Safeair. Its an anodized aluminum mast about 5" long with a nice mounting plate welded to it. The plate has a small joggle in it to fit a Van's RV, but the joggle is easily cut off. It then mounts to a small 1/4" plywood surface I glued into the bottom of my wing next to a rib.

Jim

Dorsal
10-13-2012, 12:41 PM
My set up is very similar to Jims, I really like the AOA pitot

War Eagle
10-13-2012, 04:50 PM
I installed a wood support bracket similar to what Tom did and I also used the mast that Jim used.

The wood bracket that I installed was gusseted to the closet false rib and the closest wing rib. Then I build a modified false rib support under the wood bracket to make sure I didn't get any flexing or vibrations when flying.

From the picture you can see that I routered out the shape of the mast in the wood bracket. The mast is welded to a metal plate with 8 holes for mounting the mast to the intended mounting bracket. There was a weld bead on the part of the mast that would be connecting to my wood bracket so the routered out area was an area that the bead would fit into and allow the pitot mast/bracket to fit flat up against my wood bracket.

I predrilled two holes in the wood bracket to make a place for the two aluminum tubes from the Dynon AOA pitot. In the back side of the wood bracket I drilled and expoxied in screw anchor nuts which allowed me to connect the AOA pitot with 8 removeable screws.

I then build wood anchor brackets in each rib to hold and support the nylon tubes that go through the wing assembly and connect to the pitot and AOA ports on the Dynon instrument.

In one of the pictures you can see that the nylon lines run down the spar so as to enter the cabin. These line are wrapped in an automotive type plastic conduit.

Note I also installed an acess port in the wing covering so that I can service the Pitot or it's connections if I needed in the future.

darrellpralle
11-13-2012, 05:28 PM
i also installed a dynon aoa on my 7 series. the only thing i need to remember is to set the trim to full up before folding the wing. if you dont the pitot will contact horizontal stab.