PDA

View Full Version : SS Lexan doors

jrevens
10-10-2012, 06:47 PM
I have a stupid question that I hope someone can answer... maybe Desert Fox 1? I'm building my SS with the "standard" Lexan plastic rather than the "bubble" acrylic door panels. Is it ok to "relax" (flatten a little) the bend in the plastic with carefully applied heat from a heat gun? Any hints or suggestions to help these panels fit tightly to the frames without a lot of stress would be appreciated.

peanut
10-10-2012, 07:45 PM
If it is quality and real Lexan... a heat gun will work fine. Just be easy on it. I have made quite a few custom vintage race car windshields for prototype cars and so forth. just don't keep heating and letting it cool. it will make it brittle and yellow... try to get on and off the lexan with the heat and leave it alone.

kitfox5v
10-13-2012, 12:50 PM
A friend of mine made a 3 windshield from lexan and it looks great just heat it slow and cool it slow. not too close not too hot.:cool:

peanut
10-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Some people like to take towels with warm water and put on the back side of the lexan while heating and bending it. Their theory is that you don't make it brittle. I mean after all, thats what we are using lexan for, it is resilient. I've never put so much heat on it to actually change the integrity!

jrevens
10-13-2012, 02:07 PM
Thanks you guys! I've played with it a little now, with good results... I really appreciate you both taking the time to share your thoughts/experiences.

Maverick
12-18-2019, 12:25 PM
I am wanting to put full length lexan on my fox. Where did you get the lexan that you used? I've looked on Lowe's website and they have a 36" X 48" sheet, 1/8" thick and was wondering if this would be sufficient.
Fred

rcbif
12-18-2019, 05:14 PM
1/8" is way too thick. You want 1/16 (.060) lexan. I got mine from Mcmaster for $42 per 4x4ft sheet.

Maverick
12-19-2019, 12:38 PM
Thanks for this. I was able to buy a sheet that will do both doors for less than what it cost at Lowe's or Hm Depot for only one door.
Fred