PDA

View Full Version : Kitfox Fly-in Biannual?

Esser
09-21-2012, 05:41 PM
I just noticed on the Kitfox website that the fly-in has been changed to a biannual event and won't have one until 2013. Anybody know why? Just too much going on?

DesertFox6
09-21-2012, 11:41 PM
I think I can answer that question...just an outside observation, mind you.

If you take a look at the McBean's business model (to die for), their front office manpower (two each), production schedule (too full), airshow/travel schedule (too much), personal time off (two days per year) and realize they haven't even had time to unpack from Oshkosh every year before hosting the most fun-family-fly-in among these lower 48 states and the answer is gonna hit you. It's too dang much! :o

Some of us have been suggesting for a couple years now that they throttle back for their own health (and sanity) . I think a biennial (every-other year) company fly-in might probably be in the best interest of the McBeans if not their whole company. It's not my company, so it's not my call, but they're my friends and I worry about them burning themselves out over the rest of us.

It might also be a great opportunity to shift the focus to local fly-OUTS during the day or even spend an overnight camping at an out-lying location; whaddaya think? I wouldn't mind helping or even running the aerial games again as I did back in the Caldwell days; spice it up a bit, ya know? :) (I'm trying to figure out how to work "strafe" into the competition, but I can't seem to hit on anything the Idaho State Patrol would condone! :()

I'll bet there are some equally nifty ideas germinating out there and we really oughta consider taking some of the weight off John and Debra's shoulders in this regard. Just thinking of how much mass-party-planning those two have to do, not to mention Debra's bad-ass, broom-basted, brisket bar-be-que bash, which takes her two days to pull off, not counting clean-up, and I get a serious case of "the guilts." ;)

How 'bout it gang: Any more ideas of how we can make the Kitfox Klan's*
fly-ins easier on our hosts? It's for the best cause in the world!

"E.T."
* A group of Kitfoxes in the wild is called a "skulk"...yeah, a "skulk of foxes," but I didn't want to go there...

SkySteve
09-22-2012, 07:49 AM
Here's one upcoming flyin camping trip that we can go to on the edge of the Utah backcountry wonderland. Sponsored by the Utah Back Country Pilots Association but they are inviting anyone who wants to come. This is all the info I have for now but I do plan on attending and it's close enough for at least all you AZ, UT, ID, CO, NM, WY, MT guys and gals. I'll post more details when I get them.

An email I received:
Re: UBCP Fall Fly-in, September 28 and 29, 2012, Huntington Airport, Huntington, UTUBCP -We would like to take this opportunity to invite you and your passengers to the UBCP Fall Fly-in at Huntington, UT. The airport is 69V, and is located in central Utahhttp://www.airnav.com/airport/69V*. This will be the third year that the Huntington Airport has invited UBCP and once again they are going all out. There will be plenty of food. Snacks and such will be out all day Friday. Saturday morning breakfast is free as will be the hosted dinner Saturday evening. This year, we are having dinner at Huntington State Park, about a mile from the airport. Transportation will be provided. The airport has up-dated and enlarged the camping area. As always, the shower and bathrooms are sparking clean. Fuel will be available with an expected price of $5.40 which makes it one of the lowest in Utah.You can tour the back country or take part in several activities at the airport on Saturday There will be a 8-position sporting clays course set up around the dirt runways. There will be a charge of $7.00 per 25 clays - bring your own shotgun and ammo. The county will have a van or two on hand for those who may want to visit the Natural History Museum in Castledale or drive out to the "Wedge" Overlook or any number of other locations. The county has also invited the local car club to display their cars on Saturday.There will be special marshallers to make parking airplanes safer.This has become a fun event and we look forward to it. The weather seems to be perfect every year at this time. We hope to see you there.A few UBCP members have asked why we do not select a more "back country" landing strip for the fly in. The UBCP Board feels that our back country landing strips are not conducive to large fly ins for several reasons. First, we feel that generally, the back country should be a place where pilots find solitude, not crowds. Second, our back country landing strips can be challenging and may not be suitable for arrivals and departures during all times of the day. And most importantly, we are not aware of any Utah back country airstrips that have adequate parking for all of the airplanes that would want to attend.Here are some of the reasons that Huntington is a good location for our fly in. It has two dirt runways plus a long paved lighted runway, lots of parking and a nice comfortable camp ground. Many of our favorite back country landing strips are only a short distance away, making it perfect for those who want to fly out in the morning and return later in the day. Last but not least, Emery County, is very aviation friendly and has gone all out in inviting us to their airport. Over the past few years, we feel that UBCP has forged a positive bond with the county leadership, partly by showing them the importance that back country aviation has in Utah.*We hope you will consider flying in on Sept. 28 and 29, 2012.

DesertFox6
09-22-2012, 10:17 AM
Man, does THAT ever sound like a hoot! Bring our own shotguns and ammo, huh? Maybe I CAN figure out a way to put "strafe" in some air-games after all!

On such short notice, I don't think I can sneak away from my job (FY 12 closeout time for the military!) but if I finish up my Speedster's annual condition inspection this weekend, I might be tempted to streeeeeetch the rules a bit! (In southern Arid-zona we do those things during "hell season" in a shady spot with an FAA-approved swamp-cooler!)

Thanks for the super-detailed invite SkySteve: That's exactly the kind of support we oughta be looking for to expand our "fun-tiers" with! ;)

"E.T."
Fort Apache

cap01
09-22-2012, 10:47 PM
When I was a kid in north east Oklahoma I can remember there was a group guys in this little town that were pretty good at shooting coyotes with shotguns from a j3 . That could be an interesting event at a flyin . Probably too short of notice to organize something like that anyway.

DanB
09-23-2012, 04:12 AM
When I was a kid in north east Oklahoma I can remember there was a group guys in this little town that were pretty good at shooting coyotes with shotguns from a j3 . That could be an interesting event at a flyin . Probably too short of notice to organize something like that anyway.
To some that may sound strange, but it reminds me of when I lived in AK. During Wolf season some would do the same thing with shotguns and .223 rifles hanging out the doors. They would then go back and land and gather them. I heard several of those stories when I worked as a skinner in a taxidermy shop. I believe I saw a show doing the same with ferrel hogs in Texas where they are breeding faster than anyone can thin them down. Texas guys, what's the scoop on that one? Is there a season for that or is hog shooting year-round?

Renard
09-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Just want to echo DesertFox6's comments. John and Debra really go all out to make that flyin a momorable occasion. All of the work, the expense, I am just pleased they are up to a biannual event. We need more of the Fox Farm type flyins.