PDA

View Full Version : Fuel line length - Wings to header

rwaltman
09-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Planning to replace the wings-to-header fuel lines this weekend. Found a NAPA store nearby that has the Barricade low permeation hoses in stock. Tomorrow morning I'll stop there on my way to the airport.
The question is, how much do I need? (Can't get to the plane before that to measure.) Kitfox-4 with the header tank behind the seat, centered.
I'm thinking 4 feet per side, does that sound right?

Thanks,

Roberto.

Jfquebec
09-21-2012, 02:01 PM
If i remember it's 36" so with 48 you are ok;)

Jerrytex
09-21-2012, 02:10 PM
I just replaced mine with the Barricade hose. I bought 10 feet and had about a foot left over. Also if you have an Oriley's Auto parts, they were half of what NAPA charged.

rwaltman
09-21-2012, 02:39 PM
Thank you! 12 feet then, to be on the safe side and no, there are no O'Reilly stores in New Jersey or New York.

Roberto.

dholly
09-21-2012, 04:19 PM
Roberto- instead of the big box auto part chains, you might try any independent stores in your area. I had to order and wait a few days but it was worth it. Much cheaper than NAPA. I bought a 25' roll to do all lines on my 4-1200 with center high header including FWF and had enough left to replace a wing to header line if necessary. Just be sure they get the low perm, low pressure line for carb not FI.

rwaltman
09-21-2012, 05:36 PM
instead of the big box auto part chains...That is good advise, for next time... Unfortunately I can work only in weekends, (and not every weekend), so my poor planning often leads to get whatever tools or materials I can get nearby, to avoid another one-week delay.

Just be sure they get the low perm, low pressure line for carb not FI. I know the low pressure lines are good enough, but I believe the store I'll use tomorrow had only the high pressure ones in the diameter I want.
Why do you emphasize this, because of the lower price or there is a technical reason not to use the HP lines?

One more tech question: The current lines are 5/16" ID. If I switch to 3/8" ID for better flow, (44% larger area,) can I use the existing fittings and rely on tightening the clamps for proper sealing?
Should any sealant be used (regardless of diameter)?

Thanks,

Roberto.

Esser
09-21-2012, 05:38 PM
I wouldn't bother increasing the hose size. And yes, you would need new fittings to match the 3/8ths hose.

kmach
09-21-2012, 06:18 PM
The 5/16 " hose provides more than ample flow, I wouldn't go thru the hassle of switching fittings and hose to 3/8" unless there was a good reason to.

dholly
09-21-2012, 06:44 PM
Much nicer on the wallet. Goodyear SAE 30R9 5/16" low-permeation/high pressure fuel injection line cost over $5.00/ft. Gates Barricade 5/16" low perm/low pressure carb line runs about $1.60/ft., or only ~1/3 the cost. I paid $38.00 ($1.52/ft) + tax for the Gates Barricade low perm/low pressure hose p/n 27314 (5/16" x 25' roll) from my local independent auto parts store. Gates makes the NAPA branded hoses. NAPA equivalent of Gates Barricade p/n 27314 at my local store cost $57.25 ($2.29/ft) + tax, ouch! Personally, I would stick with the 5/16" hose.

rwaltman
09-21-2012, 06:49 PM
OK, three votes for staying with 5/16" hoses, one abstention, (me.) Resolution passed.

Roberto.

Lion8
10-29-2012, 05:40 PM
One more comment, if I may, I went to the same N.A.P.A. store three different times to get Barricade hose. I spoke to the same guy all three times. All three times he started to pull off rubber fuel hose. Each time I had to tell him what I wanted. Be careful as some of these people who work as store clerks may not have a clue.

Wheels
10-30-2012, 12:44 AM
I have a KFModIV1200. I bought it used and the guy who built it had a little extra hose inthe wing. After folding, he kinked it on one side and I had an engine out at 3000' over nice farm fields. Nice landing from the guy ferrying my little ship. no damage. only in a Fox. Fuel starvation caused by excessive hose length.
Just check the manual.
Wheels