PDA

View Full Version : 912s radiator for a 7

Tom T
09-19-2012, 09:54 PM
Just returned from the pre-buy inspection on the orphan kit I'm considering. I'm happy to say I'm moving forward and will completing the purchase.

I did find a couple of issues:

The radiator has a leak. A bracket was installed across the middle of the radiator span and attached with several pull rivets and what looks like hysol. I don't know if the holes for the rivets were drilled deep enough to nick the bottom tube or if the action of pulling the rivets created the leak.

Where do you get this radiator. While I would normally say this could be repaired, I'm concerned about the damage of trying to separate the brace from the core due to the use of hysol.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.
Tom

desertfox1
09-20-2012, 06:49 AM
Good morning Tom

Glad to hear an "orphan" kit is going to fly. You might put
Debra's phone number in your speed dial because I'm sure
you will be using it. 208-337-5111. Last time I was there
they had radiators on the shelf.

Phil

kmach
09-20-2012, 07:10 AM
Yep, Kitfox Aircraft LLC would be the first call I would make.

On my series 5 , they didn't have a rad on the shelf ,wait time was longer than I could take.

I had a local heavy equipment dealer ( Catepillar) who recores and makes custom rads build me one. They essential recored it , using the tanks and mounts from my old rad . It is a heavy duty core with only around a 1 lb increase in weight. I don't like to add weight , but I really don't like a dribbling rad.
I had it recored once before with an automotive core and it didn't last long in my books (about 120 hrs) .

Tom T
09-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Thanks for all the help and encouragement. I'm really excited to get back into building again.
Tom

Esser
09-20-2012, 05:26 PM
The hysol should be able to move once you heat it up to 300F.