PDA

View Full Version : Fabric covering butt Rib Series 6

douglas
03-12-2009, 04:11 PM
I am covering my series 6 kitfox and cannot figure out how to finish the fabric around the butt rib.
Any one with info or photos to show the process would be appreciated. Assembly manual does not show it very well.

hansedj
03-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Here is a couple pictures I took at the factory, this is how we covered ours.

Mark
03-13-2009, 08:31 AM
Douglas

On my first plane I made front and rear cuffs out of .020 aluminum by forming them around the wing spar between the butt rib and the fuselage. (see pic)
On two recent coverings, I just put a half inch wide piece of .040 or .062 aluminum strip between the butt and fuselage end points and cover the underside gap between the rib and fuselage, leaving the front and rear open. On the Kitfox Demo, we used a thin aluminum sheet formed between the fuselage door frame and butt rib to seal the lower gap, also leaving the front and rear open. The leading edge is sealed by wing cuffs to block this area.
This is where your creativity comes into play. There are infinite possibilities so use your imagination.

RandyL
03-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Good one for the archives!!

Cwehner
03-21-2009, 08:59 PM
I just started the butt rib section on my Kitfox IV and this is what I've come up with. I will structural Epoxy this piece in place after painting then cover the bottom of the butt rib to the frame with fabric. This gives me a nice front edge to fabric to without having to fabric through that funky area. Just my $.02

I'll post completed pics as I get there.

Regards, Chris
Tulsa, OK
Kitfox IV, 912