PDA

View Full Version : Minor fabric repair.

rwaltman
09-15-2012, 08:10 PM
Today I noticed a small "hangar rash" eruption in the horizontal stab leading edge.
What is the quickest way to patch it? Is there the equivalent of a "Band-Aid" for fabric repairs?

Thanks,

Roberto.

ackselle
09-16-2012, 06:20 AM
Duct tape to the rescue! Works great....one you find the time for a permanent repair,simply peel it off and repair.

HighWing
09-16-2012, 08:39 AM
What Paint?
Lowell

N276KM
09-17-2012, 09:16 AM
My experience is with the polyfiber system. For just that small bit of damage, I'd use an iron on a very low setting to smooth the edges, then dab a bit of color over the scrape with a paintbrush. Keep in mind that the iron will melt and make a mess of the color & all of the other layers if you turn it up over 200F. You'll still see the scar, but with the touchup it won't be so noticable.

If you want to do it right, you can take the paint & covering off in just that area with MEK, and adhere a pinked edge patch to the damage. Then use a touchup sprayer to rebuild through polybrush, polyspray, and the color.

Dorsal
09-17-2012, 09:21 AM
One item I find very helpful is a small sheet of Teflon, put between the iron and the fabric minimizes the mess. I used this quite a bit while covering and on a few very small repairs.

Slyfox
09-17-2012, 09:45 AM
Duct tape to the rescue! Works great....one you find the time for a permanent repair,simply peel it off and repair.

packaging tape, you know that clear stuff.

cap01
09-17-2012, 10:33 AM
Aluminum foil also works good between the iron and painted fabric

rawheels
09-18-2012, 08:12 AM
I've had some good success with the adhesive backed dacron sail repair tape in the past. Scuff up an area slightly larger than the patch, and then you can apply your silver and color dopes to "hide" the patch.

Another idea for this particular repair area might be to apply black leading edge tape across the front of both stabilizers. It is good protection for the Kitfox aircraft.

rwaltman
09-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the replies. I should have added that, for the time being, I am not concerned about the looks. I only want to make sure the hole does not get bigger, the fabric does not separate, etc. Since I did not build the plane, I do not have any fabric or glue leftovers to use.

What Paint?
Sorry, I don't know.

packaging tape, you know that clear stuff.
OK, I'll bite. I must ask, are you serious? (I am not being sarcastic.) Will either one last for, let's say, two months?

I've had some good success with the adhesive backed dacron sail repair tape in the past.
OK, there are a couple boating stuff stores nearby. I'll ask there.

Another idea for this particular repair area might be to apply black leading edge tape across the front of both stabilizers
I like this suggestion. After a little pre-treatment of the scratch it could be a permanent fix. Also, black polyurethane tape will look OK with the current yellow paint.

Roberto.

Renard
09-18-2012, 08:54 AM
I had a little piece of fiberglass separate and flake off. I found that Bondo makes a small tube of filler (It comes out of the tube bright red) does not have to be mixed. I filled the small space sanded it down and painted over it and it seem to be holding nicely. Can't tell there was ever a problem.

Slyfox
09-18-2012, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the replies. I should have added that, for the time being, I am not concerned about the looks. I only want to make sure the hole does not get bigger, the fabric does not separate, etc. Since I did not build the plane, I do not have any fabric or glue leftovers to use.

Sorry, I don't know.

OK, I'll bite. I must ask, are you serious? (I am not being sarcastic.) Will either one last for, let's say, two months?

OK, there are a couple boating stuff stores nearby. I'll ask there.

I like this suggestion. After a little pre-treatment of the scratch it could be a permanent fix. Also, black polyurethane tape will look OK with the current yellow paint.

Roberto.
dead serious. I put a trim tab on my rudder, the plastic wedge type, used packaging tape on all four corners and than painted white over it. Has been over 3 years and still looks like I just did it.

I put the same tape for gap seals and still holding, with paint on the top for looks.

nuff said. these are slow airplanes, you don't need to treat them like lancairs.

ackselle
09-18-2012, 09:46 AM
Duct tape works VERY well.

I currently have 2 "repairs" done with duct tape:
1) The leading edge of my left wing has a small tear in it... don;t know how it happened, and I will repair it over winter, but right now I have an 8" x 2" strip of red duct tape (wanted to match my win color) over the tear. It's been there since April, and I've put on about 70 hours since. Still looks great.

2) Earlier this year, I removed the bungee gear and installed Grove spring gear..... that left a large hole under the cabin. I covered the hole with duct tape, and like the wing, I will repair it permanently over winter.

BTW... not quite the same, but the Mythbusters TV show covered and entire Belite with duct tape to prove a plane could be covered with duct tape, and fly properly...... it did!