PDA

View Full Version : Drilling Holes Thru Fabric

jiott
09-14-2012, 09:42 PM
I have several antennas to mount and neglected to drill the mounting holes thru the steel plates before I covered and painted the fabric. I have heard this can cause problems due to the drill catching and pulling a polyester thread in the fabric and causing a run. What is the best way to avoid problems in drilling thru fabric? Maybe melting a spot with a smal soldering iron first before drilling?

Jim

cap01
09-14-2012, 10:07 PM
Don't use a drill , the soldering iron works great

kmach
09-15-2012, 09:09 AM
A hot soldering iron makes holes real fast and neat , that's what I used.

jiott
09-15-2012, 10:03 PM
I have to drill thru a steel plate with fabric glued on the outside of it, therefore I can only use the soldering iron to melt thru the fabric layer and get to just the steel, but I will then need to use a drill.

What if I just go ahead and drill thru the fabric and steel in one shot. Is that too risky?

Jim

ackselle
09-16-2012, 06:17 AM
Start with a soldering gun/iron. Then drill through the steel.

HighWing
09-16-2012, 08:14 AM
I have to drill thru a steel plate with fabric glued on the outside of it, therefore I can only use the soldering iron to melt thru the fabric layer and get to just the steel, but I will then need to use a drill.

What if I just go ahead and drill thru the fabric and steel in one shot. Is that too risky?

Jim

Jim,
If it is for mounting an antenna, the base will cover some slight missteps. What I would do is Mark the location of the hole. Then using a scrap piece of aluminum, drill an appropriate size hole for a template. Position the template over the mark and scribe the hole outline on the fabric. Then use an Exacto Knife or single edge razor blade, cut the fabric to the outline against the steel. You can pick the fabric off with the blade or leave it for the drill to chew up. You shouldn't have a problem with the fabric. Been there, done that.
Lowell

jamesmil
09-16-2012, 09:02 AM
put something below the hole and around the outside to catch any hot metal shavings so they wont burn thru the fabric. no need to ask me how i know.:mad: