PDA

View Full Version : non-solid tailwheel help

brannan78
09-14-2012, 08:25 AM
We have a 6" solid rubber tailwheel presently (Series IV speedster). We wanted to upgrade to a tubed one and a friend recommended the 6" from Matco.

We got it in, but the wheel is so big and the sidewall/volume is so small that a loss of 1psi makes the thing go completely flat.

We thought about the 7" (actual dia of 6.7"), which has a little more sidewall/volume - I think it'll be a bit better and think it'll fit in the elbow (spring arm).

Any other ideas of good tailwheels:

1) for the stock assembly? <save $>
2) with new assembly?

Probably thinking a 7", but open to thoughts. FYI - we have 8-800 on the front.

Thanks!

kmach
09-14-2012, 02:00 PM
Hi,

I had the 6" solid on my model 5, I put on a Matco WHLT-8 LD , it weighs 5.34 lbs , it was around the $400 mark .
the next option I looked at was the alaskan bushwheel at double-plus the dollars . I really like the Matco .

Peteohms
09-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Matco WHLT-8 LD works great on my Kitfox III.

brannan78
09-15-2012, 04:01 AM
Hi,

I had the 6" solid on my model 5, I put on a Matco WHLT-8 LD , it weighs 5.34 lbs , it was around the $400 mark .
the next option I looked at was the alaskan bushwheel at double-plus the dollars . I really like the Matco .

That's good to see, thanks!

kmach
09-15-2012, 08:31 AM
Hi,

I use 6x600 tires on the mains, I fly off of a smooth grass strip mainly.

If I were going for off field landings, I would go with your size 800x6 or the 8.5x6 mains and the whlt-8WD (wide) .

I also looked at the whlt-8D , its slightly bigger than the whlt-8LD .

If you haven't , check out their site, go dual fork , and all the specs are there.

Lion8
09-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Might be a dumb question but, if you put the phenumatic tire on the tail, could you put the fluid in that makes it like a solid tire? The stuff they use on tractor tires. Just a thought. -Lion8 (Tom)

Av8r3400
09-16-2012, 04:04 PM
Why? What's your idea, Tom?

kmach
09-16-2012, 04:11 PM
The reason I went to a pneumatic tire was for flex and give , so as to soften the ride when taxiing on rougher runways. And it did make a big difference. I'm not really sure why you would want make a pneumatic solid by adding liquid, what would be the reason for this ?

Lion8
09-16-2012, 05:38 PM
Well, A friend of mine did a weight and Balance on his Mark IV Avid Flyer after he installed a Jabiru 2200 on it. He has to add a significant amount of weight to the tail to get it in bal.
He already installed the battery back in the tail, and now wants to put a heavier tail wheel on it. I thought that if he were to change to a pneumatic wheel he could fill it with that fluid to increase weight.

kitfoxnick
09-17-2012, 09:25 AM
I hate to see people add weight to their planes. Is there any weight savings that could be done up front? These planes like to be light weight. I am currently running an ABW scott tailwheel, I started with a solid maule then a pneumatic maule. I have a new Matco I got doing some horse trading, and have yet to install. I do a decent amount of off airport and the ABW aired down does a nice job of absorbing the ground. That said I would put a piece of lead in the back before I filled a pneumatic tire. If you have extra weight back there you don't won't a stiff ride. My $0.02 anyway.

Lion8
09-18-2012, 02:53 PM
Thanks Nick. If you come to the Alloway Fly in, this plane should be there. I'll show it to you. Some of the nose heavy issues were ataken care of by placing the battery on the back and beefing up the tail wheel spring. -Tom