PDA

View Full Version : Icom A6 headset problems

egp8111
09-08-2012, 12:56 PM
I just bought an Icom A6 for the Kitfox but when I try to use it with the headset addapter I get a loud squeal when I transmit. I've tried a couple of different headsets and an external antenna with the same results. Anyone else have any experience with this or suggestions?

EG

FitchUpNorth
09-08-2012, 01:57 PM
Try setting the sidetone to 0. If you don't, and use the headret boom mike, your transmitted voice also comes out over the speaker of the A6. I forget how, but I remember I found instructions in the manual. Let me know if that solves your problem.

Norm
07-14-2015, 06:08 AM
I know this is a really old post but in the hopes of helping others with an A6 here is what I have found. The A6 has an issue with sending the signal down the headset line causing feedback. I have been told it is because the battery is not a 12volt and can not supply proper power to a headset. On one friends installation we put a ferrite choke on the headset cable and it seemed to help. The solution most people use is to get rid of the A6 and find something else.

egp8111
07-19-2015, 07:27 PM
I tried various solutions, none of which were ever really satisfactory. I ended up ditching the Icom and going to a different brand. I had read glowing reports on Icom but they really dropped the ball on the A6

WWhunter
08-29-2015, 12:05 PM
Yep, same here, read all the reviews on how great the Icom IC-A6 was also. Very dissapointed with it when using it in the plane. Ignition noise and feedback were impossible to totally elliminate. My old Champ was non-electric and I took a 6-7 hour cross-country with this radio...nearly drove me nuts.
Works great for a carrying along while watching airshows/etc. but no matter what I tried I was not satisfied using it in the plane. Waste of money as far as I was concerned. Ended up putting my old King KX99 back in the plane for a back-up. Unfortunately it doesn't cover the newer range of frequencies. :(