PDA

View Full Version : Workshop / Basement question

jtowey
09-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Hi
New to forum, noodling building a Super Sport. I have a below grade basement with a hatchway. Trying to figure out if I could build the wing in basement.. Then get it out!

Does anyone have a general dimension of an assembled wing they could send me?

Also, at what stage does the ventilation requirements come into the equation? I do not want to be spraying in the confined space, but am curious if I could start covering then move out to a hangar. Does the poly fiber fabric tak and brush need the ventilation?

Thanks, look forward to staying tuned in and appreciate any and all feedback.

mr bill
09-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Using Stewart Systems adhesive, I covered the wings and tail feathers in the family room. No fumes or odors at all.

Dave S
09-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Jim,

The wing length is 13' 6 1/2", according to my jigging notes......same as the spar length. I do not have the chord dimension.

I assembled the wings in the basement during the winter; and, prior to attempting this, made a stick frame the same length/chord of the wing from the spar/rib dimensions after I got the kit and checked to see if it would fit up and down the stairs.....it did.

A person can use the hysol without a ventilation:) problem; but, for the poly tac & poly brush ventilation is mandatory .... I also epoxy primed the wing before covering... poly tac, poly brush, poly spray, paint all have solvents you do not want in the house.:eek: I did the covering in the garage with the doors open. Paint spraying outside. all with a vapor respirator.

Sincerely,

Dave S.
KF7 Trigear - flying
912ULS, Warp Drive

Tom Waid
09-04-2012, 02:47 AM
Chord dimension is 42 inches.

jtowey
09-04-2012, 02:55 AM
Thanks to all for the replies. This forum is major plus! Now off to figure if I have the space.

Thanks again

HansLab
09-04-2012, 06:12 AM
I built mine in a quite small garage, it got along, though.
PolyFibre without ventilation looks to me a no-go: weeks after the spraying is done the bricks of the garage still smell a bit (on the outside...) ;-)))
Great stuff, however - could advise anyone. Dunno Steward, although there was a nice article in Kitplanes, a month or zo ago.
Succes with your building - it is great fun!!