PDA

View Full Version : Master Switch wiring

Marshawk
07-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Getting ready to wire up the panel on my avid project, since I never did one before I have afew question i'm sure you guys can help with, What I've been told is the master switch will shut off everything except the ignition and fuel.Is it better to use a mechanical or electrical switch and do you switch the positive or the negative ? My brother is the mechanic so were just trying to figure out the proper way. thanks

cap01
07-01-2012, 10:48 PM
if electrical switch is the same as a relay or contactor, then thats what you want to use . the master switch controlling a battery relay in the positive lead of the battery as close to the battery as possible . as i recall there are some basic wiring diagrams in the 912 hookup manual . the battery relay will only disconnect or connect the battery to the main bus . the alternator is a different story

Marshawk
07-02-2012, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the info Chuck,how is the alternator usually wired in?Unfortunately I have no wiring diagram ,it is a ea 81 soob engine but it probably is the same as a 912 for wiring

cap01
07-02-2012, 01:58 PM
The 912 uses a Ducati pmg alternator and I'm sure the e81 will probably use a auto alternator so they wont be hooked up the same . I'll have to check my books , maybe there is a wire print for the e81

rwaltman
07-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Very good places to ask about all things electric are the "Aerolectric" site and mailing list:

http://www.aeroelectric.com/