PDA

View Full Version : 532 to 582 Bluehead.....Tach different?

FitchUpNorth
09-01-2012, 04:47 AM
"production" plane guy making the jump into A KF2. Had a 532, run out. installing a 582 Bluehead with an E gearbox, from Rotax Rick in Naples. Question being, ..... do I need to change the tach? Have heard from a few that the old not compatible with new bluehead, and sure dont want to be sitting there with a brand new motor, waiting to be flown, and a big ole hole in my panel as we wait for a tach. Any input, sure appreciated.....

The smartest man realizes how much he does not know.......

t j
09-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Here's an article about Rotax two stroke tachs.
http://www.800-airwolf.com/pdffiles/ARTICLES/part12.pdf

You will want to have the whole series iof articles for your new plane.
http://www.800-airwolf.com/articles.htm

GoingHawgWyld
09-01-2012, 04:44 PM
The answer really depends on the model of tach you have and how it connects. If it works off the lighting coil (Yellow) Vs. a tach wire (Grey). How is it connected now?

FitchUpNorth
09-01-2012, 07:02 PM
Hawg and tj... thanks guys. having the engine replacement done from afar so I dont have access to it to go check. Its a world different thinking here in Rotax World than it is in production engine world. Like drinking from a fire hose.....

As soon as I fond out, will post. thanks again

avidflyer
09-01-2012, 07:55 PM
The 532 most likly was points ignition, and the bluehead has the ducati ignition. Points ignition spark once a revolution, ducati twice (wasted spark at BDC) so unless the 532 was converted to a ducati ignition, the old tach won't work. Take care, Jim Chuk

GoingHawgWyld
09-02-2012, 06:14 AM
Even if the motors had the same pulse count, I have not seen a tach that could crosss over from a point trigger to a pulse or trigger coil set up... Only option would have been if you have a programmable tach that picks the trigger up from the spark plug wire and you can change the pulse count. I would order another...

avidflyer
09-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Tiny Tach makes a model that you adjust to suit the engine you have. They are small, have an hour meter built in and are very accurate. Fitch up north, I see you are from Scandia Mn. I'm from Chisholm, (about 60 miles NW of Duluth) Where is Scandia? Take care, Jim Chuk

FitchUpNorth
09-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Avid, Scandia about 40 miles N of the Cities, straight up 35. Closest "big" airport is ANE, Anoka. Forest Lake is right close too, as is Osceola across the river.