PDA

View Full Version : Wing covering and false ribs

MotReklaw
08-29-2012, 12:21 PM
Has anyone covered the false ribs with cloth tape prior to putting the fabric on? I'm getting ready to start and those ribs look awfully thin.

Thanks

PS, I searched the forum but didn't find anything useful

HighWing
08-29-2012, 04:08 PM
Didn't cover before covering, but did cut some of the two inch finish tapes in half to one inch width and put them on top of the fabric over each false rib.
Lowell

Dave Holl
08-29-2012, 04:28 PM
I did the same!

896tr
08-29-2012, 04:44 PM
I cloth tape covered all ribs, didn't want to take a chance.

Dave S
08-30-2012, 05:57 AM
The false ribs are thin; but, they are not sharp & the free end is curved away from the fabric - more of a potential wear issue than a potential puncture issue. - didn't use anything between the false ribs and fabric.

We used the Poly Fiber products for covering; and, applied finishing tapes over the fabric in all areas where extra reinforcement is needed, or looks like it is needed (like over the false ribs). The poly fiber manual has a good discussion about this in the sections covering "anti chafe tape" (stuff that goes between the fabric and structure) and finishing tapes (stuff that goes on top of the fabric); and, also speaks to the issues of materials compatibility.

In other words....ours was done as Lowell did by applying 1" tapes over the top of the covering along the false ribs except that 1" tapes were purchased rather than cut to width. Photos attached.

Sincerely,

Dave S
KF7 Trigear
912ULS Warp Drive

HansLab
08-30-2012, 06:02 AM
Me to: followed the Poly manual like a puppy-dog & covered eveything they said with tape. Didn't want to take the chance....

Dorsal
08-30-2012, 08:22 AM
Also used reinforcing tape after but not before main covering. I did make sure to lightly sand the false ribs to avoid any sharp edges.

MotReklaw
08-30-2012, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the reassurance folks. Putting that first fabric covering on today. My anxiety level is elevated.... Dunno why, almost anything can be redone....

mr bill
08-30-2012, 11:47 AM
I used self adhering 1/4" reinforcing tape over the ribs before covering and 1" finishing tapes afterword. No worry now about ribs wearing thru fabric, ever.