PDA

View Full Version : what band saw ?

rudder
08-26-2012, 06:14 AM
What band saw would work best for building a kit fox? On craiglist there is a craftsman 12 inch 1 1/8hp for a fair price. It's a bigger stationary model or would a smaller table top work better? thanks

jtpitkin06
08-26-2012, 06:30 AM
Throat depth is key on band saws. Band saws are not like other tools where too big can get in the way.The floor space required vs a bench top is about the same. The larger saws are always better.

My philosophy,,, You can cut little things and big things on a 12 inch band saw, And you can cut little things on a little band saw. But you can't cut big things on a little band saw.

I looked on Craig's List and if it's the same one, don't hesitate. It's a good deal and it won't last more than an hour.

John Pitkin
Greenville, Texas

Tom Waid
08-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Throat depth is key on band saws. Band saws are not like other tools where too big can get in the way.The floor space required vs a bench top is about the same. The larger saws are always better.

My philosophy,,, You can cut little things and big things on a 12 inch band saw, And you can cut little things on a little band saw. But you can't cut big things on a little band saw.

I looked on Craig's List and if it's the same one, don't hesitate. It's a good deal and it won't last more than an hour.

John Pitkin
Greenville, Texas

I agree! A small bench top band saw will just frustrate you when you inevitably ask it to do more than it's capable. When I started my project I took a chance and purchased a Ridgid full size band saw and it has served me well in spite of its low purchase price. I'm sure that if it were put in a production environment where it would run continuously it would wear out quickly. In a home workshop, where it runs intermittently it does the job just fine. I pretty sure the same thing can be said about the Craftsman.

AirFox
08-26-2012, 02:43 PM
Are there enough jobs on a Super Sport Kit with quick build wings and pre fab kit to justify a band saw? I'm getting my shop ready for my kit arrival in a month. I already have scroll, jig, table, radial arm, skill and tiger saws.

DanB
08-26-2012, 05:31 PM
Airfox,
In my opinion having a bandsaw during the build is essential. I happened to purchase a bench-top and it got me by, however, there were several times I needed a larger one. Purchase the largest one your budget and floor space will allow. Looking back, I used that little saw for more fabrications than I could have ever predicted.
Another couple hints...
1. Purchase a good fine-tooth blade which will cut your non-ferrous metals easier and cleaner than the one that probably comes with the unit.
2. Have ear protection hanging right next to the machine. You will know why I say that the first time you cut into aluminum. :)
Dan

rogerh12
08-26-2012, 07:31 PM
Don't buy a cheap one, as the blades wiggle around and make your cuts non-straight. Also, buy extra blades, as they break late at night.

Fine tooth blades work for everything I have found, just feed wood slower, and you never need to swap for metal cutting.

Hope this helps.

Roger

jiott
08-26-2012, 08:56 PM
I only found one job on my SS7 where I needed a band saw: cutting down the bottom false ribs under the fuel tanks. Went to a friends house and used his.

Jim

AirFox
08-27-2012, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the input on Band Saw. Are there any jobs other than the False Ribs that need a Band Saw? Thanks Jim for your input.

Scott

HighWing
08-31-2012, 03:00 PM
I have been watching this thread and the last quested prompted a response.
The typical build takes several years. I can't imagine the length of the build process being shortened significantly by having a band saw. I do have one and use it occasionally, but I can't recall anything I really needed it for on the kit - Model IV - that couldn't be done with hand tools and a sander. If you are sort of a tool junkie and do other things around the house that might keep it busy a bit ,they can be handy. Mentioned was cutting aluminum. I do wish I had a vertical metal cutting saw, but the typical wood working band saws have too high a blade speed for metal, though they will work with aluminum. I have a small horizontal bench mounted metal cutting saw that is used virtually every day - today three times already. Pictured below. Then again when I went out and looked at it, I can't imagine it would save a couple of hours total over the course of a build vs. hand sawing with a hack saw and a vice. I use it on lots of other things, though. If you are looking at power tools that will save some real time and will add some finesse to a build like making hack saw cuts look pro like, a vertical belt sander would be my choice for about the same money, also pictured below. Great for deburring edges rounding corners and lots of other uses.
Lowell

AirFox
08-31-2012, 04:41 PM
Thanks Lowell for your input! I'm not a tool junky for sure. I do have one of those belt sanders. I have decided to wait until I have to have a Band Saw to buy one. If I don't need one then I save the space in my shop.

Thanks again everyone.

Scott

jrevens
09-01-2012, 06:15 PM
I agree with Lowell... my belt sander is one of the most useful & used tools that I own. I have a 2" wide belt model, that can also use 1" wide belts.