PDA

View Full Version : Trying to correct left roll in cruise flight.

RWestbr00k
08-15-2012, 10:18 PM
Hello, I have a model V TD. Not the builder but have owned it for several years. The left roll tendency has bugged me since I bought the airplane but I am just now addressing it. Had a AI suggest wing twisting. I do not think that I want to do that but am considering an assist spring under the seat pan. Any suggestions? Thanks...Ronnie

Geowitz
08-16-2012, 05:07 AM
Adjusting the washout is the way to go in my opinion, but check the washout of each wing with a level(digital if you can get one) to see what they are relative to each other. You may find that the wing rigging doesn't match in the first place. If you're banking to the left then you would want to either lengthen the back right strut to wing fitting or shorten the back left strut to wing fitting. These fittings are the ball end links/bearings. Go one half turn at a time and try it as a little movement here makes a significant effect. Be sure you still have enough thread in each rod end using the witness hole in the rod end to confirm. Have a friend at the wing tip to lift up and help support the wing as you adjust the ball end link.

Av8r3400
08-16-2012, 05:10 AM
Start with one half turn out on the forward rod end on the left side lift strut. This will slightly increase your aoa on that wing.

Much easier than adding springs or bungees or whatever and the way these adjustments are designed to function.

(or what geo said-- same thing only different... :))

jdmcbean
08-16-2012, 08:24 AM
You are entering the "Test Pilot" stage. Be sure you are qualified and comfortable with making changes and test flying your aircraft.

Knowing that you are not the builder... I would suggest a reset... assume nothing.

Check the horizontal stabilizer for correct installation..
Set the wings back to the standard known condition and start from there.

Refer to your manual. 1 degree twist and 1 degree dihedral. Check length of the rod end thread.

From that point you can adjust either side.. we will typically decrease the angle of incidence first then increase on the opposite wing if needed. try to make changes equal.

For example.. We have a slight left turn.. or a heavy left wing as they say.

We have determined that we do not have a yaw issue that is causing the left turn.

We adjust the right wing rear lift strut rod end out 1 turn... record our change and pre-flight for a test flight. Decreased Twist (wash-out)

Not enough.. so now we'll adjust the left wing rear lift strut rod end in one turn.. record our change and pre-flight for a test flight. Increased Twist (wash-out)

Still not enough.. adjust the right wing front lift strut rod end in 1 turn... record our change and pre-flight for a test flight. Decreased Twist (wash-out)

Still not enough.. adjust the left wing front lift strut rod end out 1 turn... record our change and pre-flight for a test flight. Increased Twist (wash-out)

You may need to make a 1/2 turn or maybe a 1 1/2 turn all depends on the severity of the roll rate...