PDA

View Full Version : Eastern WA Fly-In September 15th

N82HB
08-08-2012, 08:39 AM
We have so many local Kitfoxes here in Eastern WA and Northern ID that I thought we needed to have a Kitfox Fly-In here in the Spokane area. September is our best month for temps and weather.

I thought a hamburger lunch at the Fox Farm would be a good idea. Let's plan on lunch at noon. I would love it if people would like to stay the night for a fly out breakfast on Sunday morning before heading back home. People could even come in on Friday if the wanted; there are lots of fun places to fly locally.

The Farm Farm is just north of Spokane, WA.
It has two runways. The main runway runs N/S and is 2000' long, it is just a little bit lumpy from the clumping fescue grass. Then a crosswind runway is 1400' long and is as smooth as a pool table.

There is a set of unmarked powerlines at the north end so my normal operation is land north and takeoff south, but when the wind comes up use anything you want. The crosswind runway has unobstructed approaches from both directions. Although this place is very Kitfox friendly, it is important to recognize I am asking you to use this at your own risk please.

We have really good neighbors, but still let's be curtious and try not to fly over anyone's house.

For Flyers:
N 47° 54.228
W 117° 32.831

For Drivers:
5037 Glen Grove - Staley Rd
Deer Park, WA 99006

I would like to invite builders, fliers, and interested parties for a little fun.

The agenda as I see it:
1. Lunch at noon on Saturday
2. Fly out breakfast on Sunday morning to Cavanaugh Bay, followed by a short hop over to Sullivan Lake for those interested. We will have coffee at the Farm for early risers.
3. Also on Display will be Aerocets new LSA amphibious float and Chad's recent award winning Kitfox Speedster.

For overnighters:
Feel Free to bring a tent, but if you want to just bring a pad and a bag we will have plenty of floor space in the house and hangar.
The only hotels available are on the north side of Spokane about 20 miles away. We might be able to help with a ride to/from if needed.
We can set up the flat screen out side or in hangar for a showing of either The Great Waldo Pepper or multiple episodes of Black Sheep Squadron.
Dinner would be a pizza night from our local hot spot.

Early arrivals on Friday:
Will be welcomed and a flyout on Saturday morning could be arranged or other ideas may arrise.

*For anyone who does not feel comfortable with our strip I will be glad to come and pick anyone up from Deer Park (KDEW) by car just 6 miles away.

**Don't be surprised if you see other airplanes here other than Kitfoxes. There will be plenty of people interested in what we are doing.

Contact Info:
Kelly Mahon
208 597-5091
n6575a@juno.com

inzersv
08-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Count me in Kelly. I will be driving up from Liberty Lake.

jdmcbean
08-14-2012, 04:17 PM
Sounds like a good time...

Debra & I will see you Saturday Morning... You are Pacific Time correct ?

N82HB
08-16-2012, 08:10 PM
We are pacific time for sure.
I ordered good weather and I believe delivery is on time. September is my favorite month.
Work has been getting the best of me, so I am excited about kicking back a bit.
Looking forward to it.
Kelly

AVDOC
08-24-2012, 01:01 PM
Kelly thanks for the PM regarding flying in to Carlin Bay (ID43) to view construction on my Kitfox Speedster. Looking forward to coming over on the 15th to your function in Dear Park.

There are 3 other Kitfox's right around our airstrip on Lake Coeur d'Alene. I am sending PM info to you on our airstrip and hope you will find time to have you and Chad come over. If anyone else is interested in coming by, the invitation is open. Hanger is air conditioned, refer stocked, and the barbaque can be fired up on short notice. .

I will be down there the next two weekends finishing up installing the Dynon Skyview, and moving on to covering the wings.

Tom

N82HB
09-02-2012, 02:35 PM
Yesterday Jay and Pamel White stopped by in a Kitfox IV and two weeks ago Dave Thomason came by in his Eurofox.
With a few rough draft visits we are gearing up for the 15th.
can't wait to see everyone,
Kelly

N82HB
09-07-2012, 07:18 AM
For those stopping in Deer Park for fuel we are 7.1 miles at 214°.
Weather still looking good.

kitfox2009
09-07-2012, 08:21 AM
G`morning Kelly
I plan on driving in on Friday afternoon/evening. I have my campervan so just need a small fairly flat place to park. Look forward to meeting a few more fellow KF`rs!! Thanks for the invite.
Don
Vixen C-FOXK 912UL IVO IFA

N82HB
09-08-2012, 09:59 AM
We have a great spot for you.
Electricity too if needed.
K

Tom T
09-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Kelly,
I'm new to the Kitfox community and working on the purchase of a partially completed kit. I would like to join your group on Saturday and would plan an up and back trip in my RV.

This looks like a great chance to see several airplanes and look at lots of options.

Thanks for hosting!
Tom Turnbull
RV-7A

N82HB
09-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Tom,
My long runway is a little lumpier than I would like for fast, small tires, and pants, just because of clumping grass. My crosswind runway is super smooth but only 1500' max. It does have nice approaches. If that makes you nervous give us a pass so we know you are here and we will launch an airplane to come get you a KDEW. No worries.
Very excited to have you come.
Give a call if you like,
Kelly
208 597-5091

Renard
09-13-2012, 03:12 PM
Assuming the weather remains good, I shall be there.
Chuck

N82HB
09-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Sounds Great!
I just gave the guy who delivered port-o-potty a ride. We've got another one addicted!
Weather looking good.
K

Renard
09-15-2012, 10:08 AM
@#$%^&*()_ I had my Kitfox all packed up last night and this morning the airport is IFR with smoke from the fire at hamilton. ATIS is calling it a mile and 3/4. So much for the fly in. Really would have liked to make this one.

AirFox
09-15-2012, 08:17 PM
It was Awesome! Thanks Kelly for hosting the fly-in!

Scott

N82HB
09-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Cavanaugh is closed for breakfast so we are meeting at Nordman on Priest Lake at 8:30.
We will have a ride to Hills Resort. Look forward to seeing you.

Pictures are coming.
14 Kitfoxes, 22 airplanes total and one busy helicopter.

Tom T
09-15-2012, 10:14 PM
Kelly,
Great job on the flyin! We had a great time there and saw some wonderful aircraft. What a great group, I'm looking forward to getting this project going.

It's wonderful to see the McBeans out supporting the product at this level, amazing!

Tom

kitfox812
09-16-2012, 01:57 AM
I agree. The fly-in, great food and people made for a fun day. Seeing and talking to John and Debra McBean made it a special treat.

Rich

N82HB
09-16-2012, 05:02 AM
I am putting some nice photos in my Album section under Fox Farm so you can enjoy. http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/album.php?albumid=292

I was hoping for 11 and found 14 Kitfox arrivals. I have never been so proud. Thanks for making a great weekend for me and my family!

My wife Raina and mother Mary are the heavy lifters of the event, with a lot of help from several others. Thanks to them!

I think a highlight for quite a few were the helicopter rides given by my friend Doran in his R44 helicopter. What a great surprise; Thanks.

The smoke was pretty bad, but we still had a great turnout! We had people arrive from Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, and Canada!!

Slyfox
09-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Had a very fun time. Kelly you are great. Here are some of my pics in my album.

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/album.php?albumid=293

N82HB
09-16-2012, 04:03 PM
How about 8 Kitfoxes for breakfast? Wow what a turn out for the Sunday morning fly out!

Then off to Sullivan Lake for fun.

N82HB
09-16-2012, 04:07 PM
How bout this one?

Dick B in KY
09-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Nice pics. Looks like a good time was had by all.

Dick B

inzersv
09-16-2012, 08:17 PM
Kelly, thanks for hosting all of us. You mother and wife did an outstanding job in the food department. I enjoyed meeting some of you from the forum and all others. Thank you John and Debra McBean for allowing me to pester you with all of my questions. To fly formation with the heliocopter was exciting. I have got to get with it on my SS. Next year we will have to do this again so that I can fly my own in. My wife is tired of me talking about yesterday all day today.:D First rate event!!

kitfox2009
09-16-2012, 09:19 PM
Hey Kelly
Thanks again for the great event. You,Raina and mom Mary out excelled yourselves to host an event like this. It was a great success, and for a first attempt, you guys never missed a beat!!! Good on you!!
Thanks for the invite.
Your just barely, northern neighbor.

Don

AVDOC
09-16-2012, 11:17 PM
Donna and I had a great time putting faces to people on the list. We enjoyed the event, and the ideas from looking around, and a lot of verbal input will help as I finish my build. Thanks Tom & Donna Stuart

wannafly
09-17-2012, 07:38 AM
What an absolutely great event. Sorry I could not make it. The pictures are fantastic and gives one a sliver of what it must have been like. Be sure and add some pictures to the "where I fly" thread. Good to see we had one Canadian rep there. Way to go Don. I sure hope it happens again next year, to have a secound chance to make it. WOW great hosts, great scenery, great people, and great aircraft. This is what keeps my heart pounding, keep it up...:D

jdmcbean
09-18-2012, 07:39 PM
Kelly,
Thank you for a great time ! Special thanks to Raina and Mary (mom) for all the great food and organization. Speaking from experience.. I know how hard they work to make us look good. Be sure to thank them Kelly.. dinner out might be in order:)

The Fox Farm fly-in was a great time and we look forward to it again. Hopefully we won't have the smoke to contend with for the trip... 2.7 hours chock (S66) to chock (Fox-Farm). Great Lunch and Deserts with much from the home garden.. YUM.

Thanks to Aerocet for allowing Kelly to have one of the new floats on display.. What a nice piece of equipment. Carbon for weight, 500-5 mains and both the main and the nose have shock absorbtion 84 lbs ea. I suspect all up to be in the 230 range which allows for under 200 lb installed.

After a great day Debra and I headed to Sandpoint for the night...
If you ever find yourself in Sandpoint be sure to goto "Sweet Lou's" Bar and Resturant... Great smoked Prime Rib and if you like Nachos.. I have to admit that it was the some of the best Nachos I've had.

Good nights sleep and a early launch to Nordams (Priest Lake) to meet with everyone for Breakfast...

Off to Sullivan Lake... didn't have many takers but the 4 Fox's and the R44 found our way over to enjoy the view.

Pilot4Life
09-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Great photos of "Heaven on Earth" (aka. Washington State):). Born and raised in the Wenatchee Valley on the Colombia River... Maybe I'll retire back there and join y'all for the 5th Annual Fly-in. What an exciting turnout and judging by the photos, great food as well! Congrats to Kelly & Raina on your first Fly-in being successful!

cap01
09-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Chris , not sure there will be much left around Wenatchee by the time they get the fires out . Lots of fires in wa , check the wa tfrs

Pilot4Life
09-21-2012, 08:09 PM
Been getting updates from my family. All but yours truly still live there. Remenicent of the Rat Creek fires back in the 90's...but worse! Don't know many parts of the PNW that couldn't use a month of rain right now! BTW...just in case I get up that way sooner than later, how many remote strips (not just hilltops and roads) are within say...100 miles of KEAT? Anyone have a particular spot? Post it in e "Where I Fly" thread if you would!

Back to the Fly-in....

Already have a date set for next year? Keep us posted Kelly.

cap01
09-21-2012, 10:55 PM
sorry , not a lot of remote strips in wa like idaho has . the best wa offers is a few state maintained strip . generally well maintained grass with some facilities . naturally pretty soft when wet and most closed from late fall untill spring . some have challenging approches due to terrian or trees , occasional animial , including cows along with cow crap . to bump it up a knotch , guys like kelly do the gravel bar thing . naturally these gravel bar guys do have some mishaps .
the smoke from the the fires is affecting vis on the west side also today the smoke was so bad on the east side they couldnt use planes to fight the fire . waiting for rain

P Morel
09-24-2012, 07:45 AM
sorry , not a lot of remote strips in wa like idaho has . the best wa offers is a few state maintained strip . generally well maintained grass with some facilities .

After researching, I've found quite a few strips in Eastern Washington using the Social Flight web site. It's a good app for the iPad too. http://socialflight.com

Of course, I think Idaho may still have a few more remote strip ;)

cap01
09-24-2012, 06:33 PM
Unfortunately I don't get to eastern wa much . And there are some interesting place to go over there . I don't do too well camping out in tents so I'm missing out on some great places , just my problem .

N82HB
09-24-2012, 07:16 PM
Chuck,
Just plan on using our place to launch from for day trips. All the fun of new places without the expense of hotels or the need of a tent.
Just let us know when you are coming. We have 4 Kitfoxes on the farm right now.
Kelly

cap01
09-24-2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks Kelly for the offer , sounds like a great deal . The expenses of hotels isn't really the problem , just the tent . I was really disappointed that I didn't make it for your event but we had a scheduled Hawaii trip . Would have been nice to meet some of the guys from the forum . Appears a good time was had by all.
Hope they can get the fires under control soon . From the news the smoke is really bad over there . We have some smokey days over here but a minor inconvience compared to the poor souls that have been run out of their homes and some lost everything .
Wondering what you all do for gas over there , I suppose run to deer park for avgas ?