PDA

View Full Version : Ring Mount for Rotax

jiott
08-03-2012, 03:34 PM
I am trying to mount the ring mount on my Rotax 912s (Super Sport 7) and I can't seem to get it into place to intall the 4 bolts that go into the rear of the engine block. How much of the back end of the engine do I need to disassemble to get this ring mount to slip into place? There are no instructions or torque specs for this. The manual just says to mount it. If I have to take the generator off are there any problems or traps I need to look out for?

Jim

Dave S
08-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Jim,

This is part of being an experimental aircraft manufacturer....in the case of the ring mount....you take off the parts that you need to to get the ring mount to the bolt holes....then we get to figure out what those parts are.:D

You do not need to remove the engine alternator:); however, I found that I wanted to remove the starter and coolant hoses which pass around the ring mount structure. There may have been some other minor parts that needed to be removed or pushed aside. A little jockying and everything comes together...not all that difficult.

I have attached a few photos with the ring mount installed which may be useful in seeing what parts were in the way and needed to be moved.

I don't have any photos showing the parts removed....a person never takes enough photos:o

Sounds like you are coming right along with your project if you are getting to the engine mounting:)

The torque specs for the ring mount bolts should be in the engine installation manual you got with the engine. If I recall - the engine manual also stipulates using washers (standard or thin washer) as needed if the ring mount boss does not come in direct contact with the engine block - this is to prevent stressing the ring mount structure.

Sincerely,
Dave S

KF7 Trigear
912ULS Warp Drive

Dick B in KY
08-03-2012, 08:36 PM
On my SS7 I had to remove the water pump housing, send it back to Kitfox to have the angled tubes on the left side repositioned to clear the mount. Could not get the mount on otherwise. There is a Rotax video on how to do this , but it requires heat on the housing, so I opted to let the McBeans handle it.

Dick B

jiott
08-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the pictures Dave. My ring mount is a little different-not flat on the bottom, more of an oval shape all around. I can't seem to get past the wiring harness in the braided stainless loom on the generator. Did you have to remove any of this wiring?

Dick, how recent was your engine kit purchased? Just received mine about a week ago. I may have to rework the water pump tubes also.

Anyone else out there with some advice?

Jim

Dick B in KY
08-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Mine (912ULS) was delivered this time last year (1 yr ago). My mount is like you described. Also had to loosen the braided wiring harness to get it into the mount, but the main problem was the water pump.

Dick B

Dave S
08-05-2012, 05:26 AM
Jim,

As Dick indicated, I believe I also had to loosen the braided harness to feed it through parts of the ring mount. Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of that side of the ring mount showing the routing of the braided harness clearly.

Sincerely,

Dave S
KF7 Trigear
912ULS
Warp drive

jamesmil
08-05-2012, 10:40 AM
jiott, you will need to disconect the braded wiring harness from the power packs on top of the engine and replace it after the ring mount is installed. be sure to mark them before unhooking them. as for repositioning the water pump tubes i turned down a piece of alum, stock to fit inside of the tube. with the water pump housing in the vice and a little heat from a small propane torch it is easy to move. just move it were you want it no need to take it all the way out. i also used the same gasket with just a little gasket sealer to reinstall. careful with the heat it doesn,t need a lot. also use wood blocks to hold the housing in the vice protect the gasket surface on the pump housing. hope this helps.

jiott
08-06-2012, 11:36 AM
I finally got the ring mount on my SS7. John McBean sent me a set of 8 photos which were very helpful. In a nutshell, you must disconnect the two big wiring connectors on top of the generator, release some wiring clamps, remove all 4 coolant hoses from the water pump, and unbolt the water pump housing. Then the ring mount slips into place quite easily.

When you try to remount the water pump you find that the lower left angled tube in the pump housing must be repositioned. I am now in the process of finding the Rotax video that shows how to do this-it is a process using heat as already mentioned on this thread. Maybe the McBeans also have instructions on how to do this; I will check.

Jim