PDA

View Full Version : New Whirlwind prop

desertfox1
08-03-2012, 12:44 PM
Just installed the new Whirlwind ground adjustable prop on 78KA.
Judd and Doc dynamic balanced it and we were off for Oshkosh.
Wow! Do I love this thing. Smooth, smooth.

Phil

rwaltman
08-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Looks nice!

Just curious, what is that bi-planish thing hanging from the ceiling behind you plane?

Roberto.

cap01
08-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Thanks Phil , I've been thinking about replacing a perfectly good warp drive with one of these . Nice to hear they are really good , i would not like to take a 1k gamble without hearing good things about it.

desertfox1
08-03-2012, 01:49 PM
The Kitfox and I live in Arizona, but the prop was installed at the factory.
It is the same prop used on the Kitfox SLSA

The wings hanging up there are from the one off Kitfox biplane.

Phil

jdmcbean
08-03-2012, 01:59 PM
One Off Kitfox Bi-Plane.. for those that havn't seen it...

Taken in Jackson Hole Wyoming..

ackselle
08-03-2012, 03:10 PM
More info.... please! What is the history of the Kitfox bi-plane? Why don;t we see it today?

GoingHawgWyld
08-03-2012, 04:29 PM
I have a 70" 3 blade Whirlwind on my Series 7 and it not only looks great but performs much better than the Sensenich I had. Better climb and better speed. And super smooth!

Dave S
08-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Anyone have and comparative performance data for the whirlwind vs Warp Drive tapered tip???

Dave S
KF7 Trigear
912ULS Warp drive

Dick B in KY
08-03-2012, 08:43 PM
Glad to hear all these good things about the Whirlwind, because that's what I bought for my SS7. John McBean and the factory were very helpful in the selection process. Almost ready for first engine start (912ULS).

Dick B

desertfox1
08-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Ackselle, this is the info on the Biplane I have:

Dan Denney was allways reaching for the next thing with the Fox.
The model 2, 3 and then having a custom airfoil for the wing and
flaperon for the model 4. At some point he envisioned a biplane
version and again had Harry Ribblett design the airfoils and flaperons.
The chord profile looks like a high performance aerobatic wing.

It was not a simple conversion. Note for weight and balance a
stagger wing layout was needed. a new landing gear was added
and this was the first Carbon Fox. Cowls, seat and instrument panel
were vacuum bagged from carbon fiber to save weight.

I'm told this aircraft handled more like a Pitts then a Cub. Desertfox4
has flown this plane and perhaps can give us his impressions.

Sure a pretty thing, huh?

Phil

DesertFox4
08-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Had a chance to talk with John Rogers from Homedale,ID while at the Kitfox factory last month. He helped with the covering and did the paint on the bi-plane. He said that after initial flights that two of the ailerons were disabled because the roll rate was too fast. I got to fly it with Dan Denney for about 20 minutes. The roll rate was still incredibly fast even if two of the four ailerons were locked out. I can't confirm that and Dan never mentioned it to me. It sure felt like all four were working. They had just installed the 100 hp. Rotax shortly before I got to fly it. I'm sure it had an 80 hp. in it when initially built. Seems like the speeds were in the 140mph plus range at the time but really can't recall other than it was the fastest Kitfox I'd been in up to that time. Great flying and looking machine. The Kitfox Bi-plane is a neat piece of Kitfox history that hopefully someday way down the road will fly again.

Why don;t we see it today? Dan dismantled the Bi-plane to use the fuselage for his current STOL winged model 4. He flies it regularly and I last saw it at the 2011 Kitfox Factory fly-in. The bi-plane's wings sat in Dan's hangar for some years until John McBean wisely convinced him to part with them. Dan offered to sell me the Bi-plane way back in 2000 however I didn't have the resources (cash) to acquire it and bring it back to Phoenix.

The paint scheme was bright lime green with royal blue scallops. In most photos it looks yellow and black but that's because it was hard to find a camera that would capture the true colors. It was spectacular in person.

More photos of it on my page. desertfox 4 photo albums (http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/album.php?albumid=10)
I love that little one off Kitfox and hope one day to get to fly it again.
Notice my avatar.;)

Sorry Papa, not trying to hijack your whirlwind thread. If the bi-plane gets more responses I'll move them to a new thread.

ackselle
08-04-2012, 05:37 AM
Thanks guys, for the info on the biplane.

Yes.... she is beautiful!

wadeg
08-06-2012, 01:21 PM
I too am very interested in hearing a comparison between the Whirlwind and a taper-tip Warp Drive!!!

WWhunter
08-08-2012, 08:12 AM
This is a response to a gentleman that emailed me asking about a Whirlwind prop for his plane. I recently installed one on my RANS S-7 (sorry, not a Kitfox) and this is my experience. I had a two blade taper tip Warp on the plane originally.

"If I had it to do over I probably would have just gotten different blades or a different prop from Warp Drive. The only reason I bought the Whirlwind was due to all the rave reviews on it and its performance and the fact I needed a different prop to go on floats. I had a 2-blade Warp on the plane but the blades did not have the required nickle leading edge for float ops. It was either order new blades for the Warp or try a different prop. The general consensus was the 3-blade is smoother. I did find this to be true with the WW.....much smoother than the 2-blade Warp. I had reade/heard that the WW would be faster, this I did NOT see. Actually I am flying at nearly identical speed as I was with the Warp with the Warp having the edge on top speed (by 3-4 mph). All this is with the plane still on wheels. I have not yet put the floats on.

The WW is beautifully constructed and VERY light, but for costing $2,000 I am disappointed it not getting a little better performance. I think my TO distance is a little longer with the WW. I may have to do a little more fine tuning of it so take all this with a grain of salt. I have been told a very minor adjustment can have big gains but I doubt I can change it much since I am within the parameters suggested.

I had looked at the Kiev also and nearly purchased one until I had been told of long wait for replacement parts when needed. Would have saved a few hundred dollars with it too.
All in all the WW is a decent prop and I am by no means totally against the WW......just expected too much for the amount of money I spend. Yeah, I guess I am a cheapskate!! LOL
Most guys are very pleased with the WW. One guy that is very happy was involved with the article in Kitplanes magazine a few months back. Great guy and he will be happy to tell you his experience with it.

Good Luck with whatever you decide"

I will reiterate...the WW is definitely smoother than the Warp.
Keith

GoingHawgWyld
08-11-2012, 08:19 PM
I did a little testing today with the Whirlwind and I recorded a couple air speeds. 5200 level flight gave me 115 indicated. And that was without my wheel pants on my tri gear. I was doing that with my wheel pants with the Sensenich. Climb was 5400 RPM at 70 MPH and I was get 1200 - 1250 FPM... Both numbers are better then the Sensenich 2 blade and this is again without my wheel pants. So I expect a little better once I get them back on in the next couple weeks. Noise level I can not tell if there is any less or more but vibration is less for sure. I am pitched using their tool to about 20 degrees....