PDA

View Full Version : Building with help from the kids

jetsrforkids
08-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Currently my kids are young (ages 4,7,9), but in a few years I was thinking of starting a Kitfox project as a father/kid build. I spent some time at Oshkosh this year going over the builders manual, and it is a big reason I'm thinking of going with a Kitfox. The manual looks very well written and laid out in a way that the kids and I could follow. Anyone out there have experience in family airplane building? I have no doubts that it will take more time and hassle to build it with their help, but I think it would be a great project,

Dorsal
08-02-2012, 07:05 PM
I built mine with my sons but they were a little older 11,15,17 at the start of the build. Great fun recommend it highly.

wadeg
08-06-2012, 11:44 AM
DO IT.

I didn't have children yet when I built my Kitfox. I finished it at 33 so I got that step in life out of the way early.

I have a 9 month old daughter now who I love to take flying and look forward to years of fun with her in the airplane.

I must say that young children certainly present a challenge at the same time. I am currently (and very slowly) working on a BJ1B Duster sailplane from plans. It will be a very long duration project but I find I need to keep that part of my brain engaged in an airplane project. Essentially right now, my building time is only available during her nap times. It certainly is a priority of mine to be her dad and having a set of plans and sawdust to be made makes me keep my urge to build in check. There's no rush with the glider at all. No pressure to get it done.

I was also around your kid's age when my father was building his first. I grew up with a Rutan Varieze as a 'twin'. It was certainly a meaningful experience as a kid. It was very healthy for my imagination and already established awe of aviation. It still is to this day the arena that my father and I are the closest in and the Varize is still flying strong (along with dad's 2nd homebuilt). The boys will gain a lot from the project. They will never forget when the KF gets on wheels and they go for a 'ride' up and down the drive being pushed along. At that time, it will sound like it's powered by Briggs and Stratton though.

DO IT.

Slyfox
08-06-2012, 12:42 PM
my kids were a little older. but still the kids had fun. let them put different sayings inside the skins, than they feel like they will forever be part of the plane.