PDA

View Full Version : Installing Bubble doors.

inzersv
07-21-2012, 06:35 PM
Does everyone leave the film on the lexicon while installing and do you position the lexicon flush with the Butt Rib Tabs before beginning to drill? What is the best tool for trimming the lexicon? Thanks in advance.

jrthomas
07-21-2012, 07:27 PM
I removed the protective paper before fitting. I marked my lines with a fine tip marker and made my cuts with a Dremmel. I clamped a 1 inch wide piece of aluminum to keep my cuts straight. I cut just a "hair" bigger and then used a fine rasp and then a belt sander for the fine fitting. This was my first time so I practiced on some scrap that came with the doors. Go easy with the Dremmel or the acrylic will get too hot. It all turned out real good. I just took my time and moved real slow. I must have had those doors on and off 50 times till I got them just right. I learned real quick that you can't put back what you cut off. It's not hard, just go slow. James Thomas

wadeg
07-21-2012, 10:33 PM
I'll second the Dremel. Once again, the Dremel proves itself as a kitbuilder's best friend. As mentioned, cut it just slightly oversize and sand it down to size. You will quickly discover what the perfect speed for cutting is to avoid overheating. Then make a toast to Albert J Dremel!

Planecrazy
07-22-2012, 12:47 AM
Stan, I installed the same doors back in Feb. and used a bandsaw. Just oversize and then sand to a perfect fit. All the windows on GA aircraft that I know of are cut that way. But go slow, it's faster than ordering a new set!
Chad
Model4-1200 Speedster

Jerrytex
07-22-2012, 08:30 AM
I used a high speed air cutter from HB. Worked great.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-inch-high-speed-air-cutter-47077.html

inzersv
07-22-2012, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the replys. I agree, a toast to Mr. Dremel. I burned my original one up and had to buy a new one. Worth every penny. When the lexicon is positioned, is it placed flush with the Butt Rib Tabs? It appears that is the case, but I want to be sure. Any comments?