PDA

View Full Version : Butt rib installation

Jch
07-15-2012, 06:05 PM
I am having trouble visualizing the butt rib location... specifically, how it is positioned relative to the spar attach bolt and forward spar clevis pin. A "rough fit" of parts (rib 1 and butt rib) makes it look like the butt rib covers the rear spar bolt and if so, how is the bolt removed? Also, if the butt rib extends beyond (rearward) the bolt, won't the butt rib and rib 1 bind up when the wing is moved or folded? Next question: The front end of the butt rib looks like it will be outboard of the clevis and very close to it. Does this sound correct? If the butt rib attaches to the fuselage and the windshield is attached to the butt rib...how can the clevis pin be removed to fold the wing? Does anyone have a picture of these areas or know where I could look to see if I can attach rib #1 without making a mistake. I am probably a year away from attaching the windshield and the wing root fairing and maybe that is where I will get some of the answers, I am just afraid of making a big mistake now. Thanks for your help.

Dave S
07-15-2012, 07:15 PM
Jeff,

This part of the assembly can seem confusing at first - if a person studies the manual, plays with the parts a bit it should come to a person. stick with the asembly sequence in the book and it should work out fine.

The buttrib stops at the rear spar bolt; or is trimmed to do so.
If you check the manual for windshield installation instructions you should see that the windshield is trimmed around the front spar pin and the pin for removal.

Got a few attached photos which are not perfect for the purpose but you get the idea. Zoom in on the buttrib in the photos.

Sincerely,

Dave S
KF7 Trigear
912ULS Warp

Dave S
07-15-2012, 07:22 PM
Jeff,

Just found a photo which may help a bit more. See below.

Dave S

jdmcbean
07-16-2012, 08:16 AM
This may help...

Picture shows the butt rib close-out as well... This item is not "in the Kit" as many use the fabric instead of aluminum.

Jch
07-16-2012, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the pictures.

Jch
KF 7
No engine yet

ken nougaret
08-12-2012, 02:07 PM
just want to throw out a couple of hints to those that haven't done there butt rib install yet. page 30 of the ss7 manual, step 1, says to drill #30 holes in the brackets 1" apart opposite sides. this may be too wide of a separation to allow both holes to grab the tubes welded to the fuselage headrack. also, orient your (8) brackets(4 per side) so the inside hole is facing up (like the diagram shows on p.31). this allows more room to match drill the bottom hole.
i didn't do either of these things and wish i had.
hope this helps.
ken