PDA

View Full Version : oil filter

hansedj
02-19-2009, 06:55 PM
Wondering what oil filters are being used on the rotax 912. Is everyone using the rotax filter or are there others that can be used?

DesertFox4
02-20-2009, 08:41 AM
DJ

I've used predominately NAPA's 1056 oil filter for years now however, just last oil change , I installed a Rotax filter. The Rotax filter was always too large and would rub against my oil cooler mount if installed. Not a good thing to have your oil filter spring a leak from rubbing. I had to remove the mount and "adjust" it to make clearance so I could use the recommended Rotax filter. Also the NAPA was less money but now they have come up considerably and are almost the same price as Rotax.
Not sure if there is an ounce of difference between them internally, some mention the oil by-pass valve, but now mine says Rotax on it instead of NAPA. If your engine is actually under warrantee I would use only Rotax oil filters. I ordered my Rotax filters from John at Kitfox Aircraft and it's now easier and more economical to have John send them to my front door then chasing all over Phoenix trying to find a NAPA store with one on the shelf.

Although I've never tried one CAR Quest had one that worked. Not sure if they still do or what the filter number is now.

RandyL
02-22-2009, 05:17 PM
Phil Lockwood makes a big deal in his Rotax video (very good by the way) about recommending Rotax filters. The two big things are a stout enough case to withstand cold-start high oil pressures, and the internal pressure relief being of the correct value. Makes good sense to me to just order the Rotax filters in quantity somewhere and having a supply. I only use Champion oil filters on the Lycoming in my RV for the same reason... I've seen testing done in the past where some of the off-brands just didn't measure up.

BTW, Fram doesn't have a very good reputation with the high-end car and motorycle guys. Seems there have been cases of the paper media deteriorating and the glue that holds it in melting. Purolator generally tests way better qualitywise.

DesertFox4
02-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Randy, after starting cars hundreds of times at temps at or below 20 below zero in the somewhat frigid, at times, State of Minnesota I've never once had any of my auto oil filters blow a case apart. Has Phil Lockwood run across this situation a lot on Rotax engines using auto filters? That would be a little un-nerving.

Some years ago Ray Volk and myself spent several hours between a bunch of auto parts stores trying to cross reference a Fram filter for Ray that would work on a Rotax and had no success. Back then Fram didn't show one that would fit a Rotax.

I hope I have as good of luck with the Rotax filters as I have with the NAPA. I'm sure I will and anyway I like buying them from John. :)

Peteohms
03-29-2009, 04:00 PM
Carquest filter 85056 is exactly the same size as the NAPA 1056 and cost me 1/3 less.

Bryan
04-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Like Steve I have used the NAPA 1056 for a long time with no problems. I would like to think that I would pre-heat if temps were cold enough to cause this much trouble. I hate :mad: cold weather so I avoid it as much as possible.

Peteohms
04-08-2009, 01:41 PM
I just bought 2 Carquest 85056 filters for my 912 for under $5 each on sale between Apr 1 and Apr 15. I'm sure they are the same as the NAPA.

Pete

Slyfox
04-11-2009, 08:35 AM
I would like to add a note on the oil filter. Have you ever had one unscrew? I for one don't like the idea, I'm sure it will make for a bad day. What I do is put a clamp around the filter and safety wire to the cooler bracket, with the wire going through the cuts in the strap. I would think that would also give a little more support on the filter as well for those cold starts with pressure going up to 80 psi.

RandyL
04-11-2009, 08:47 AM
Interesting question. On all of the cars, motorcycles, and other machines I've had over the years I've never had a hint of any filter every loosening ever. Yet the filters on Lycomings and Continentals are all safetywired for this, Rotaxes (also a certified aircraft engine) are not. Hmm.

Peteohms
04-12-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm pretty sure the Carquest, WIX, and Napa Gold are built in the same factory. Nothing magic about the NAPA Gold 1056 except they like to keep the price up because they sell fewer of the 1056 than the other filters that cost $6 and are Napa Gold also.

DesertFox4
04-12-2009, 04:11 PM
1700 plus hours of running the Napa 1056 and narry a problem. Never had a spin on oil filter come loose on any vehicle if installed properly. On the Rotax when I go to remove the filter I have to use a large channel lock pliers to "break" it free since I have no room to use a normal filter wrench. No way it will move with just my bare hands. They actually get tighter with time it seems bacause when I install them it's just very "hand tight".
You can use the hose clamp/safety wire set up for piece of mind. I had that on my Model 3. Very simple to do. Don't have it on my Model 4 and approx. 28 oil changes and never a leak or problem but I may install the clamp anyway. It looks safer.
Just switched to the Rotax filter last couple oil changes so not much history yet but expect zero problems.
It's a good idea to use a marker and mark your oil filter with an index mark to visually check before each flight that it hasn't moved. I also mark the filter with the engine hours at time of change and the date. Old habits.

Slyfox
04-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Just to let you know. About a year ago I had a filter loosen, in one flight. I always check before each flight and this time I did checked it. I landed, put the airplane away. That night I went to the airplane to fill it up and check things over for the next flight. I was surprized to find a bunch of oil on the floor. I looked and found it was leaking out the front. I removed the cowl and found the filter had loosened about 3/4 of a turn. I had it marked and was checked before the last flight. I was up for 45min. I had about 900 hrs of trouble free flights before this. It really scared me. I found nothing wrong with the filter. I installed it nice and tight. I use a clamp and safety wire now. It will NOT happen again. OH one more note: the oil never got on the engine in flight, it waited until it was sitting on the ground to leak out. Now it might have gotten air in the system. Don't know. I did check the lifters after I found this and they were all without air.