PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Tailwheel spring

FoxDB
07-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Could someone with the Aluminum Tailwheel spring on a model 1-IV tell me the thickness. I would like to build one. I assume the width is 1.25".
Thanks Dave

FoxDB
07-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Surely someone has an Aluminum Tailwheel spring!

cainbird
07-04-2012, 08:11 PM
I thought I heard the aluminum tail springs were more prone to breaking than the steel one's were. I have an aluminum tail spring at the hanger I will measure it for you tomorrow.

Cain B

cainbird
07-04-2012, 08:18 PM
Come to think of it, I had an aluminum tail spring on my model 1 which failed. When it broke it drove the tail wheel up into the rudder bending the rudder and ripping the fabric. I built a steel spring out of truck leaf spring which I bought from a local spring shop. I also had to repair the rudder of course! This happened several years ago and I didn't think of it until just now. Mabey the new aluminum spring are made of different material today but I'm unsure.

Thanks~Cain B

DesertFox4
07-04-2012, 08:22 PM
Loved my aluminum tail spring and it never broke. Just hope if you build your own you know how to temper it for strength. Years ago when I purchased my aluminum spring I installed it then taxied to the runway. It was bent just from taxiing through the grass. Evidently some got out of the factory with "bad tempers". Sorry about that last line.:rolleyes:

Dave F
07-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Could someone with the Aluminum Tailwheel spring on a model 1-IV tell me the thickness. I would like to build one. I assume the width is 1.25".
Thanks Dave

Do your self a favour and call Mc Bean -- his 3 leaf spring will work the best.

they all will break - Steel or Aluminum.

John's I have kicked the crap out of and it still ticking.

Unless you like to make your own which I have done and worked equally as well.

for under $100.00 M Bean is a simple fix and cheap.

My nieghbour has a Mod 5 and snapped the alum spring -- cost him alodt to repair -- new rudder -rod ends for hinges as they all bent.
plus fabirc -- paint etc................

Plus he had to leave in a frozen field last winter for a few days

leptronjohn
07-05-2012, 06:21 PM
the aluminum tail spring is 3/4 inch. I have over 700 hours on mine, back country strips and all. it came from grove..
john

FoxDB
07-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Thanks John.

Bryan
07-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Dave I have two of these and would sell one if you are interested. Bryan at620-481-1976