PDA

View Full Version : Velcro Adhesive Blues

rwaltman
07-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Getting ready for tomorrow's annual I removed the "upholstery" from my KF, the liners, cargo-bag, etc.
As you know, there are held in place with velcro strips, which in turn have an adhesive backing to stay put where they were meant to be.

The problem: In many places, with its age and the heat, this adhesive has turn into something with the looks and consistency of recently chewed chewing gum, but only a fraction of its strength.

Questions:
a) How to clean this gunk before replacement?
b) Is there a better way?
The velcro itself is still in very good condition, only the adhesive has failed.
When the strips are attached to a tube, I could easily use velcro without adhesive and secure it with nylon tie-wraps. Don't know what to do on flat surfaces.

Roberto.

szicree
07-01-2012, 08:42 PM
I've got no advice on how to clean the old stuff off, but I've had great luck using Shoe Goo on this kind of stuff.

DanB
07-02-2012, 12:05 AM
Roberto, I know where you are coming from as we have that heat thing here in AZ. I recently had to clean that gunky melted stuff off as well. I ended up using MEK and several rags to clean things up...Steve's idea for shoe goo doesn't sound like a bad call. I ended up using a two part epoxy.

SkySteve
07-02-2012, 05:41 AM
I used Gorilla Glue on mine a few years ago. Still holding tight. Caution: Gorilla Glue goes a long way. Be certain to wet both surfaces and use a very thin coating.

henrysamson
07-02-2012, 07:23 AM
I dealt with this same problem recently. My project has been in my hot garage for years and I had t redo the velcro. I tried several solvents and denatured alcohol worked really well for me.

Jim
07-02-2012, 02:15 PM
Auto parts stores have 3M adhesive remover. Works great doesn't hurt paint.

skyraidertom
07-02-2012, 03:40 PM
I still had some rib stitching thread and the needles that I used to rib stitch the wings. It was a simple matter to sew the velcro strips to the fabric

rwaltman
07-02-2012, 06:18 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions.
For the time being I'll do the cleaning part only. I'm beginning to like the naked-tube look.
May change my mind when winter arrives.

Roberto.