PDA

View Full Version : ICOM IC-A210, any experience?

SSFoxBuilder
07-01-2012, 12:12 PM
So I know the Garmin SL40 seems to me a popular choice these days for a comm transceiver, but does anybody have any recent experience with the ICOM IC-A210? How the built in intercom works in the Kitfox, specifically the SS? Any help is appreciated!

AirFox
07-01-2012, 12:53 PM
From what I have found doing some searching is that the ICOM 210 is a good radio. I know a guy that has a SL40 and an ICOM 210 installed together and they both work very well. He told me that he hasn't had any issues with the ICOM 210. I also like the idea of the built in radio. Although I may end up going with the MGL V6. The MGL has a nice small footprint.

Scott

kitfox2009
07-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Hello All
I have an ICOM A210 in my Vixen 912UL for 2 years now. Could not figure out how to wire up to the PMI intercom so removed it and use the integral one. Works well, took me a while to get it adjusted properly. Occasionally I get some "feedback squeal???" on transmit,but I do not believe it has anything to do with the radio. My latest guess is that the squeal seems to be related to the amount of output from the charging system. Sometimes at reduced RPM the squeal occurs but goes away at normal cruise?? Not sure why??
I really like the flip flop and dual monitoring features. Much nicer than my old Terra.
Cheers
Don

Dorsal
07-01-2012, 02:41 PM
I use the built in intercom in the SL40, works quite well (I know, not the question you asked but thought it might be helpful).

Dave S
07-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Don,

FWIW - I had a transmit background noise on my ICOM - more throttle more noise....less throttle and less noise.....not at all on the ground at idle.

Found that it went away after experimenting and adjusting the side tone on the radio. Apparently individual brands of headsets react differently to the side tone setting. I have no idea if I know what I am doing on this but the noise went away.

I have been thinking about pulling the intercom out of the plane for simplicity and going with what the ICOM has for an internal intercom so I am interested in others' experience with this too.

Dave S
KF7 TRigear

SSFoxBuilder
07-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Thanks everyone for all the insight! I like the thought of not having to install a separate intercom for simplicity and lower $$, but I still want to use the xm radio function of the 696.....is there a way of doing this while only using the SL40 or ICOM A210?

Dorsal
07-01-2012, 03:50 PM
yes, a little audio board from aero-electric (I think), works well. I use it to mix the SL40, audio alerts from two Dynon units and output from the 696. It's called the "Audio ISO Amp (Bare Etched Circuit Board)" and is a DIY project though fairly simple and well documented. https://matronics.com/aeroelectric/Catalog/AECcatalog.html

Geowitz
07-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Not sure about the SL40. Might need the intercom for an aux input there, but the Icom does have an aux input for XM, ipod, etc....

Not to hijack the thread, but the MGL Avionics V10 has a built in intercom and aux input as well where it will even lower the music volume when receiving and slowly bring the volume back up when transmissions are done. I've got one in my project and am very happy with it judging from what little I've been able to play with it. There V6 radio looks nice too and is stereo I believe.

SSFoxBuilder
07-01-2012, 06:47 PM
GREAT INFO!! Thanks guys!

David McCormick
07-04-2012, 04:35 AM
I used a Icom handheld w/a external antenna for the 1st 8 yrs flyng my Kitfox and it worked great then spent the money for a IC-A210 to clean up my panel about 3 yrs ago & have been very disapointed with it. It was confusing to set up & the Icom reps were not very helpful . It is hard to see when the sun is to my back.

SSFoxBuilder
07-04-2012, 06:57 AM
David,

Thank you for the info! I have now heard both great and not-so-great reviews on the ICOM tech support. How is the sound quality and intercom set up? Did you use the aux imputs at all? Any setting on the display to help with the sun issues?

Dustin

David McCormick
07-04-2012, 02:31 PM
I didn't use the aux inputs. the intercome took a lot of trial adjustments and is now working fine. not much you can do about the display with the sun.

Pingert
07-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Would anybody have experienced feed back from strobes I've put filters in the wing tips but still get the feed back
regards Rick

Av8r_Sed
07-16-2012, 08:50 PM
Filters in the wingtips will not help if your strobe power supply is in the fuselage. There are large voltage pulses that travel the length of the conductors to the strobe tubes. Shielded cable is normally used with the shield solidly grounded at the power supply end and not connected at the wingtip end.

I have this arrangement and don't have any audio interference from the strobes.

Maybe you're using self contained strobe systems in the wingtip. If so, a sketch of how you have them and the filters arranged would be useful.

Pingert
07-17-2012, 06:07 AM
The strobes I have are self contained in wingtips have tried 4700 ul 16volt maybe have to go to larger voltage filter

Av8r_Sed
07-17-2012, 11:08 AM
I'd go back to your strobe vendor with your installation details and symptoms. I'm sure they've run into this issue before.

You may not need a bigger filter, but one designed for higher frequency or hopefully none at all.