PDA

View Full Version : considerations for buying a used kit

MikeJones
02-17-2009, 09:23 AM
Hi: My first post.

My daughter and I are working on our PPUL in Canada, which is the same as the LSA in US. I am considering a partially built Model IV that has not had much work done on it, and it includes a serviceable 912.

Any thoughts about what to look for and stay away from?

What might the additional costs be, beyond the kit cost? My intention would be to build it with tri-gear, and add skiis and floats in the future. The intent would be to build it without too many mods for now, and get flying.

How much time does it really take to complete?

Thanks, Mike

Skybolt
02-17-2009, 09:51 PM
This is a difficult answer! It took me 5 years of most off than on building. I could have done it quicker but work and life is always things to be considered.
The reason he is selling a project is that it will never be completed in his mind. The very best he can do is remove it from his life...It has to be a sensitive situation. The main thing is that he has kept a good builders log and knows that all the components that were ordered are still there.

Good hunting. Eric

dcy92444
02-18-2009, 06:16 AM
Mike I ended up with a Model II that had been started. I knew nothing about building and did not know how to fly. I work full time and have a large yard to take care of. The winter is plowing snow (5,000 ft) the summer is mowing the lawn twice a week. I purchased the plane in LA and hauled it a 1,000 miles to a hanger in east Idaho. I spent probably 3 months getting educated and sorting through things. I had to figure out what was there and what had been lost. I verified the quality of the work done. Read the manual several time then started right on the first page and checked every item and task off as it was completed. It took me 18 months from start to finish. I worked every holiday and vacation day I could get and spent most weekends working on the plane. It was the most rewarding project that I have ever done. The matronics Kitfox list was my sole source of help. Good luck on your project.

Dee

MikeJones
02-18-2009, 05:57 PM
sorry, I meant to indicate that I saw an advertisment for someone living close to me who is selling a M. IV-1200 with a lightly used 912. The price seems very good, and I'm not really ready to build right now. I'm just finishing the build on a car, and the honey-do list has been growing for the last 2 years so I should finish a few things there first.

My concern regarding time is that I do not want a 3 year project as I would prefer to be flying sooner than later. I do want to build and have experience in fabrication etc, but not airplanes. The hours I've seen posted seem to vary greatly.

Because the price is good, I'm also wondering if there are things I should ber wary of. In any case, I am considering buying now and storing it until fall when I should have more time.

Thanks, Mike

dcy92444
02-18-2009, 07:24 PM
I am no authority but having taken on such a project I would suggest you check the completed work very carefully. The earlier suggestion of checking the construction of the wings is very good. Do it by the book. If they are wrong you got problems and will have to rebuild them. You need to do a complete inventory of the parts also. Some will not agree but the avionics are readily available on Ebay at a reduced price and can save you $.

Building is considerable task and requires a huge commitment. On the flip side it is one of the most rewarding experiances I have ever had.

Good Luck

Dee

MikeJones
02-19-2009, 06:24 AM
not to highjack my own thread, but how significant a difference is it to fly tailwheel vs trigear? My thinking was that we currently fly trigear, so that is likely the best first step. Eventually, I'd like to add floats, so that would also be more consistent with trigear.

At the same time, I like the appearance of a taildragger better, and am happy to upgrade to that ticket.

Regards, Mike

dcy92444
02-19-2009, 06:52 AM
The Model II which I built is a tail dragger and that is what I learned to fly. My only experiance is in a Citabria, Aeronica Champ and the Kitfox all tail draggers. I would get some duel stick time in a tail dragger to see if you like them before you make a decission.

Good Luck