PDA

View Full Version : IFR Kitfox (Was: King KLN 90)

rwaltman
06-30-2012, 07:55 AM
... Do you intend to build an IFR capable ship? as that would certainly change things.

I am thinking, (can't say "planning",) about making my KF-4 IFR capable.
I understand the Kitfox is not a good IFR platform, but to do at least some of the instruments training in my own plane will most likely pay for the conversion and save some extra money on rentals.
Did anybody get an IFR ticket on a Kitfox? (4 Speedster, if that matters)
Comments?

Roberto.

n85ae
07-02-2012, 06:18 PM
My plane has everything in it for IFR, and I'm instrument rated. BUT I'll
never fly it IFR simply because it's a terrible IFR platform, not a hands
off airplane and flying in the soup is asking for serious trouble with it.
That is my opinion anyway.

Ditto for IFR training, it's hard enough getting the ticket in a rock solid
172, so I bet you'd be hating life in a Kitfox doing it.

Regards,
Jeff

I am thinking, (can't say "planning",) about making my KF-4 IFR capable.
I understand the Kitfox is not a good IFR platform, but to do at least some of the instruments training in my own plane will most likely pay for the conversion and save some extra money on rentals.
Did anybody get an IFR ticket on a Kitfox? (4 Speedster, if that matters)
Comments?

Roberto.

rwaltman
07-02-2012, 06:31 PM
My plane has everything in it for IFR, ... and flying in the soup is asking for serious trouble with it.
... it's hard enough getting the ticket in a rock solid
172, so I bet you'd be hating life in a Kitfox doing it.

Oh! I agree - What I was thinking, (but did not write clearly,) was using it some for some of the training flights, for IFR flights in good VFR conditions, while using whatever your school/instructor offers for really 'soupy' days.
The check ride most likely will have to be in a different plane, anyway.
Thanks for the reply.

Roberto.

cainbird
07-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Kitfoxes arn't made for straight and level!!!

BigJohn
07-02-2012, 07:51 PM
I have my Version 5 set up for IFR but not all certificed i.e. engine, and gauges, However I use it in VFR conditions to keep my currancy and after lots of time in it under the hood In a pinch I would have no hesitation in flying it in IMC on an approach, It isn't a hands off flyer but heck thats why we fly them :)

Certianly a lot cheaper in keeping my currancy and practicing and as fast as any 150 / 152.