PDA

View Full Version : How long was your engine in the box?

Dorsal
02-16-2009, 07:57 PM
I have just mounted my 912ULS which has been sitting in it's original packing box for a number of years. Rotax warns against storage over 12-24 months, have others gone longer than this with out a major problem? Superficial inspection shows no signs of corrosion, are there other things to check?
Any input appreciated.

DesertFox4
02-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Dorsal, one builder here had his 912 80 hp in the box for 6 years with some time in Idaho and the rest here in Phoenix. It ran perfectly when finally installed. He made sure the oil system was purged properly and that he actually had oil pressure before the first start by turning the engine with the starter and having both ignitions switches off and seeing oil pressure show up on the gauge. How long has yours been in storage?

DanB
02-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Dorsal,
I can't speak from experience as mine is still in the box and going on 7 years :( Because I had the same concern, I asked a Lockwood Rep that question when I was at OshKosh 2 years ago. He said I might want to check the diaphram for the carbs, look at o rings, and the fuel lines...basically...look real close at the integrity of the rubber parts. He said if some of the rubber looked a little iffy, I may want to get a carb kit and replace all the rubber parts.
FWIW

Bryan
02-17-2009, 01:38 PM
Dorsal my 912ul was in the box for 6 yrs. I kept it in the house and thought it was one of the best pieces of art throughout the house. Don't ask the wife about this as I do not think she agrees.:D:eek: When I got around to getting her going I made sure to have good oil and good oil pressure before I let her fire up. As another precaution I changed the oil after very little time and I have not had any problems.
The reason for keeping it in the house was that in Kansas we get dry hot days in the summer and very wet cold days in the winter and I wanted it in a stable environment. Worked OK for me. Good luck.

Dorsal
02-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Steve,
Thanks for the input, mine has been in the box for ~5 years, I will watch it closely when I fire it up. Anyone else with long in box times?

bbryan
02-26-2009, 08:07 PM
Talk about long time, I have a 582 new in the box from 1991. Anybody have any idea about the shape of this antique. It looks good from the outside.