........little something different.

rogerh12
06-21-2012, 08:39 PM
Sweeeeet........
But what's the can of Raid for?
Carbon bugs?

SkySteve
06-22-2012, 06:30 AM
Very interesting. Waiting to see what you come up with.

HighWing
06-22-2012, 07:31 AM
Curious about the plan. Are you anticipating some weight saving?
Lowell

ClickClickBoom
06-22-2012, 10:06 AM
It's called lightening the wallet......

HighWing
06-22-2012, 11:23 AM
It's called lightening the wallet......

Made me laugh. Airplane projects seem to to that. I've tried all kinds of weight saving mods, and the bulk of the weight saving seems to always be in the area of the wallet.
Lowell

SSFoxBuilder
06-27-2012, 12:20 AM
Fortunately we have a great friend who also happens to be a world class windsurfing, kiteboarding, and surf board builder. He works with a lot of carbon fiber and mentioned wanting to help with the build, so this is what we've come up with so far. We have many other ideas in the works, but for now the floorboards are great and work out to be lighter and stronger than what comes in the kit.

ackselle
06-27-2012, 05:35 AM
Looks good.... so what's next? Carbon Fiber cowl? Doors?

ClickClickBoom
06-27-2012, 07:01 AM
Schweet!
You know what really screams out for a carbon fiber treatment? The seat, it's a fairly large piece and a carbon fiber/Kevlar layup would light, strong and incredibly tough replacement!
Any plans to sell a kit like what you already have fabbed?
Eric

jrevens
06-27-2012, 08:31 PM
Be careful with the carbon fiber next to the aluminum center console side panels (or any aluminum parts)... it can be a real corrosion issue if the two materials touch without an adequate surface barrier between them.

SSFoxBuilder
06-28-2012, 12:35 PM
@ ackselle - We are currently working on a CF center console & panel. A seat pan, cowlings, rib closeouts, glare shield, & fuselage stringers are all on the "to-do" list.

@ ClickClickBoom - We HAVE discussed the possibility of putting out a CF kit for the SS7, all depending on how this plane is received with the new components. Any and all ideas, thoughts, and pointers are greatly appreciated!

@ jrevens - Thank you for the heads up on the potential corrosion issue. The floorboards all have an epoxy resin coating which should prevent any corrosion between them and the side panels. We will also be brushing and clear coating the side panels, further protecting them.

ackselle
06-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Thanks SSFoxBuilder..... keep us posted!

jdmcbean
06-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Or you could just get one from the factory.....

We haven't announce yet for a variety of reasons.....

Yes the seat has been done and needs to be load tested... and wing tips and instrument panel, glare shield, NACA duct.... and more....

and yes.. there is a weight savings on both the airplane:) and the wallet :eek:

DesertFox4
06-28-2012, 03:00 PM
Not to burst your carbon fiber bubble but I flew a beautiful new Kitfox with an all carbon cowlings, seat pan, baggage area, center console and instrument panel too, over a year ago. The all carbon fiber cowlings were actually developed and tested at Kitfox "South" here in Phoenix over 2 years ago. I can attest that they are incredibly light weight and very very nice. The whole idea of all of this was to build an incredibly light Kitfox and all those goals were met and exceeded.
All carbon fiber doors were also done several years ago on a model 4 Rotec radial Kitfox here in Phoenix.

We HAVE discussed the possibility of putting out a CF kit for the SS7, all depending on how this plane is received with the new components This had already been developed by the factory. In fact I've just got the OK from John and Phil to let the carbon cat out of the bag and say that a brand new S-LSA factory built Kitfox, the first with all carbon cowlings, will be delivered very soon to its new owner.

P.S. John types faster than I do so he beat me to the news. ;)

SSFoxBuilder
06-28-2012, 04:10 PM
That cowl looks SWEEEET! I didn't think we were breaking new ground with our CF parts, I had just never seen or heard of anybody doing it. Regardless, it's a great way to keep the advancement of the Kitfox moving forward!

@ John - Can't wait to see what the factory puts on the market!

szicree
06-28-2012, 04:47 PM
Any estimate as to the total weight savings?

Esser
06-28-2012, 05:49 PM
I havent even done the inventory on my kit and I already am out of date...such is life.

ClickClickBoom
06-28-2012, 06:35 PM
Or you could just get one from the factory.....

We haven't announce yet for a variety of reasons.....

Yes the seat has been done and needs to be load tested... and wing tips and instrument panel, glare shield, NACA duct.... and more....

John,
I obviously would prefer to give you guys the cash, eta on announcing details on the parts?
eric

SSFoxBuilder
06-30-2012, 10:08 AM
All trimmed up and fitted!

szicree
06-30-2012, 01:00 PM
You are probably aware that the epoxy used in many carbon fiber products degrades very quickly when exposed to UV light. Furthermore, the plastics used in the kitfox windows block very little UV. Are you planning to carpet over them?

SSFoxBuilder
07-02-2012, 09:56 PM
I asked Brian (windsurf board builder who is helping with the CF) about the UV issue, and his reply was that the resin/epoxy that he is using is made for high UV exposure. I have seen many of his boards that were build using the same method, which have many seasons of use/abuse, and they all look great as far as the resin is concerned.

Esser
11-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Any price on the carbon kit yet John? Or availability dates?

SSFoxBuilder
12-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Yeah John, what's the word??

SSFoxBuilder
01-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Getting there, slowly but surely!

DanB
01-12-2013, 07:03 PM
Purrrrrdy!:)

WurlyBird
01-14-2013, 04:19 AM
I am REALLY glad to see some carbon nuts here, I am one as well. Those that don't get it, well they REALLY don't get it. I started by covering a gas tank fairing that did not get used and it has been down hill from there. Did a matte carbon instrument panel, that I can't use, so I will make another. I am planning on doing lift strut fairing because the McB ones strike me as too heavy and I think I can get them down to about .5 lb a piece. I will be making new wing tips when I get home, and I have a plan for the floors but that is Top Secret 'til I work out those details. Still going to make new gas cap fairings, a very thin center console, and maybe brake pedals. I love carbon. Haven't even started toying with the cowls or seat pans yet.

HighWing
01-16-2013, 04:39 PM
I see some really serious effort here. Nice Work and from my experience not just a little work. I agree the lift strut fairings are one area that needs to go on a serious diet. .5 lbs? Without a doubt, that would be a winner. Mine are about 4 lbs total - .010" aluminum with urethane foam core.
Lowell

WurlyBird
01-16-2013, 06:23 PM
I was actually very surprised how much weight the instrument panel saved. That carbon panel is 19 oz lighter then the kit supplied one.

Esser
02-18-2013, 04:30 PM
After talking with a friend who does Carbon Fibre mods to his Giles I thought I should pass on some of his advice. He says in the event of the accident the carbon fibre can splinter and turn into a bunch of flying knives. For added safety in his layups he applies one layer of Aramid which is pretty much Kevlar. Something to think about.

SkySteve
02-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Our drone helicopter company makes frames, plates and tail pieces out of 100% carbon fiber. We have drop tested them from 75 ft onto concrete and asphalt several times :eek:, and have never broken a single piece of carbon. These ships weigh about 35 lbs and when the motors are turned off, drop like a rock! Me thinks there is a big difference in how the carbon fiber is laid up.:cool:

Danzer1
12-29-2013, 02:55 PM
I would be - when I can ever get to building one! Would be interested in seeing weight comparisons between the carbon and factory parts. Would also be interested in carbon seat pans, strut fairings, cowlings and wheel pants.

n85ae
12-29-2013, 04:23 PM
Seriously though ... Two cans of beer and a burger or two and your weight
gain will easily surpass that what you save with carbon fiber in your fox. This
is just a way to burn more money :)

It does look cool though ...

Regards,
Jeff

Danzer1
12-29-2013, 05:02 PM
So what I hear you saying Jeff, is: Those that eat and drink to much need carbon fiber more than the rest of us:D!

Because, the way I look at it, someone that overindulges, will do so whether they have carbon fiber in their aircraft or not. So it then becomes more necessary to offset that weight penalty with something else:rolleyes:.

Always another viewpoint!

n85ae
12-29-2013, 06:11 PM
Haha, more or less I guess. My airplane flies the same pretty much whatever I
toss into it if I'm flying solo. The only time I notice much difference is after I
burn about 3/4 of my fuel and it's getting light. Or if I add a passenger. In my
opinion weight change of less than 50 pounds is not noticeable ... So to me
carbon fiber is just a hole in the wallet. I will admit that my floor panels, and
kick panels are all made out of .032 6061 Aluminum with carpet glued on. Not
to save weight, but simply because I like metal better than wood.

Ten years ago when I was just finishing building it, I might have used CF, but
no way I would do it now. A lot of the coolness factor I got when building
with stuff like CF went away after I started flying it.

Regards,
Jeff Hays