PDA

View Full Version : 25 degree rudder left/right deflection.

inzersv
06-05-2012, 03:08 PM
The instructions say to file the rudder stops to obtain a 25 degree deflection if necessary. When I check mine, right deflection is right on and the left deflection is about 27 degrees. Is this a problem? Thanks.

War Eagle
06-05-2012, 03:21 PM
I think the main issue is to make sure the rudder doesn't run into the elevator during any part of its travel. If you get more than 25 degrees of travel I can't see how that would hurt you in anyway.

My thinking is you do not want to be limited in your rudder travel so be sure to check for any interference with the elevator.

Dave S
06-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Stan,

Had the same situation on my kitfox with the airfoiled tail. I ended up adding some shimming to prevent the rudder from contacting the elevator - I think elevator clearance is the critical issue - make sure you have some by checking the rudder and elevator in all positions before covering. I agree with W.E. - no such thing as too much rudder - but you do need to check elevator clearance.:)

Sincerely,

Dave S

Av8r3400
06-05-2012, 08:31 PM
The main problem you may encounter is releasing your tail wheel too soon to free caster.

I have this issue with my plane. It can make things become very exciting, very quickly in a bad way... :eek:

Dave S
06-06-2012, 05:17 AM
All,

With Larry's comments on the tailwheel issue, I should mention that my aircraft is a series 7 trigear...sorry for leaving that out on the first post.:o

DS

KF7 Trigear
912ULS Warp Drive

jiott
06-06-2012, 11:16 AM
A word of caution: I set my rudder angle, 25 degrees, before cover and found out later after cover that I needed to move the 3 mounting points out a little more for proper clearance. I have the SS7 kit with airfoiled tail. Now the rudder angle is a lot more than 25 degrees and I need to add material back onto the rudder stops! So I had to drill and add bolt heads to the stop plate in the rudder. Bottom line is-I could have saved this extra work by waiting until after cover to set my rudder angles. When you cover you add several layers of fabric to the rudder itself and also to the fairing on the back of the fuse. In fact I am going to wait until after final paint (more layers) before I finalize the rudder stops.

Jim

inzersv
06-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Thanks everyone.I will wait and get it covered before setting and I am installing the Stab and Elev for fit tomorrow (today if I have time).

RadialFox7
06-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Had the same issue but with a slight twist....the rudder stop was slightly misaligned to the left during the welding. In talking with John, its not the actual degree of deflection that's important, its to have as much rudder travel as possible without interfering with the elevator in the up position. Wait to set that until you have the rudder covered as the extra space required for the fabric will cause you to back out the rod ends which will change the stop position. :D

jtpitkin06
06-07-2012, 06:36 AM
Here's an adjustable solution for the speed tail on the model 7. Just add or subtract washers to adjust the rudder swing. It's accessible after covering.

JP

jiott
06-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Yes John, that's exactly what I did. I copied your building tip.

Jim

foxy
07-09-2012, 12:32 PM
Hello all,

we're just finishing the import process of a Speedster and the MD-RA (Canada) is asking for the controls deflections limits.

I can't find that anywhere in the building manual and POH.

Where can I find that info ?

thanks

Jacques

C-FVCT formely N58EW

Dave S
07-09-2012, 01:10 PM
Jacques,

The information you want is in the builder's manual which was provided with the original kit to the first purchaser - might need to check the documents you received when you purchased/imported the aircraft to find the builder's manual.

Sincerely,

Dave S
KF7 Trigear
912ULS Warp Drive

foxy
07-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Hi Dave

I do have the builder manual..but I can't find that info.
I found some info about bellcrank deflections but there should be ONE page where ALL controls deflection are given

I will keep digging in the manual..but so far..nothing

thanks

HighWing
07-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Hi Dave

... there should be ONE page where ALL controls deflection are given

I will keep digging in the manual..but so far..nothing

thanks

Sorry, not so. The construction manual is a creation of the individual kit manufacturer. There is no standard format and I have never seen such a page in a Kitfox manual. The information you are looking for will be found in the manual where the assembly instructions for that particular part is being discussed. You mention it is a Speedster. There were two iterations of the Speedster. The first is a Model IV-1200 Speedster and the second was the Series V Speedster. On the Model IV, the rudder deflection is given as 30° right and left. In my manual this information is given on page F-D-4. It is a drawing of the rudder assembly and the travel info. is found in the top left notation and mentioned again on the lower left where the filing of the rudder stops to give the desired deflection is noted.
Lowell

foxy
07-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Thanks Lowell

I found the 30° info on the drawing on page F-D-5.

Found the elevator info on page F-E-7 [ 30° - 35° for the UP] . For the 'down'...it's just said '' There should be plenty of 'down' elevator.

Now ..the ailerons.

thanks again

PS: Speedster Mod IV

HighWing
07-09-2012, 07:16 PM
I don't think you will find that data specfied. The flaperons are rigged by following a specific procedure and the resultant stick and flap movement is determined by the geometry of the internal linkages. On the Model IV, the stops are not adjustable and are set by the stick movement limits in the torque tube. I Think you will find that procedure in the cover and finish section
LOWELL

Av8r3400
07-09-2012, 08:58 PM
The first is a Model IV-1200 Speedster and the second was the Series V Speedster.

I believe there was a IV-1050 Speedster, too... ?