PDA

View Full Version : flaperon is moving

Wheels
05-21-2012, 07:29 PM
I was flying in heavy turbulance in the columbia gorge just after takeoff from the Dalles. I noticed that my flap handle was at about 2 inches setting for takeoff but I didn't use flaps for that windy launch.
I reset the flap handle to zero and a little while later, it was at the takeoff setting again.
I flew home and tested it out on a smooth day, its moving whenever I exceed 110 mph.
What's up?

kitfoxnick
05-21-2012, 07:46 PM
Sounds like you need to tighten up your flap handle friction nut.

Av8r3400
05-21-2012, 08:07 PM
I find that I need to tighten mine every 50-75 hours .

Wheels
05-21-2012, 08:24 PM
Thanks, I"ll look in the build manuals that I got with the plane and tighten the nut a little. I didn't build it and havn't touched the flap control rods so I don't know where the friction nut is. Shouldn't be hard to find.

kitfoxnick
05-21-2012, 08:50 PM
It's at the base of your flap handle. The bolt you need to tighten is what the flap handle pivots on.

cainbird
05-21-2012, 08:55 PM
The friction nut is the nut and bolt that attaches the flap handle to the airframe. It's the bolt the flap handle pivots on when you move it. It's right down under the front of the seat by the landing gear bungies (if you have bungies)!

t j
05-22-2012, 05:53 AM
I think your flaperons are rigged with a little bit of reflex (negative flaps) with the handle full down. Some builders rig this way and use reflex position to reduce lift to lose altitude in a hurry.

Mine do not have any reflex rigged in and I have never had the handle move up on its own. It will move down on its own when the friction bolt and nut are loose.

Wheels
05-23-2012, 10:13 PM
Its raining this week. I"ll tell you how the flap adjustment went after fly. As for the "spoiler" setting for negative flap position, I need to look at that. I am pretty sure I don't have it but I don't think I want it. A friend of mine did install a kind of detent on the flap so I wouldn't put it further down than neutral, so maybe I do have it. I"ll ask John next time I see him. Thanks for the replies, I love the help on the forum.

Av8r3400
05-24-2012, 04:56 AM
I have mine rigged to get enough nose up trim (negative flap) to fly hands off at 80 mph.

IMO you will never be able to get enough travel for the flapperons to become spoiler without them starting in the negative range. The other thread on this subject got me checking and looking closely at the system.

Slyfox
05-24-2012, 05:47 AM
on my 4 i flew it and got the sweet spot for neutral. I landed and than took a hose clamp and installed on the tube just in front of that spot. Instant stop. I also tightened the pivot bolt and nut. works great.