PDA

View Full Version : SS7 and a C150 in hand

TShark
05-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Hi ,

I am coming up on retirement and have always wanted to build my own aircraft. I am considering the S7 in the LSA configuration. . I am considering cannibalizing a 150 for the engine, radio, and several of the instruments . The engine has about 400 hours on it SMOH. The rest of the 150 airframe I could just donate. I have read most of the posts concerning the S7 and O-200 and it appears that, aside from weight, the performance is comparable to the Rotax 912S. I just have a couple questions:

1) With the O-200 what kind of usable weight can I expect in the LSA configuration? Review of the previous posts put the weight difference between the O-200 and 912S anywhere from 30 lbs to 100 lbs...Has anybody gotten a definitive answer?

2) Approximately how many build hours are left to complete the S7 once it is ready for the engine and instruments? Again, I wish to cut down my time without a flyable aircraft as much as possible.

I appreciate comments.

N714SM
05-22-2012, 05:45 PM
I would like to hear the answer to your post. I will be retiring this year and also would like to build an S-7. I also fly a C150. My A&P suggested that I cannibalize my C150 for instruments and engine. I am not sure this is correct but he said since my O-200 engine is certified it would have to be inspected by an A&P with IA even in its new body. Sounds strange but who knows? I must be missing something.

One good thing about the O-200 is that it's not difficult to find someone who knows how to work on them.

HighWing
05-22-2012, 06:30 PM
Two interesting ideas. I can't speak to the performance of the engine or the W/B issues, but I doubt the A&P IA part. I suppose if you ever want to put the engine back in a certified aircraft, some log book history might be in order. There are just too many amateur built aircraft out there with Lycomings and Continentals that have never seen a Licensed tech since the Airworthiness inspection. If you are talking about the annual condition inspection, I have never heard of anyone bringing in an A&P AI for the engine. That being said, if there were serious engine issues, it might be prudent to go with an expert, though.
Lowell

jdmcbean
05-22-2012, 07:32 PM
As the repairman for the aircraft (51%) you can service the engine and even do a complete overhaul. Lowell is correct.. only if the engine is ever to be returned to service in a type certificated aircraft would it need to be serviced by a A&P with Annuals sign by an A&P/IA.. continuously. Another way to put it... it needs to be serviced in accordance with (IAW) the FAR's for its life if it was to ever be returned to service in a TC'd aircraft.

ken nougaret
05-22-2012, 11:08 PM
i cannibalized a 150 for my o200. i'm doing a field overhaul on it. i am an a&p, but i don't know that it really matters. my past experience is with certified aircraft so i just feel more at home with the continental, and it's simplicity. and like you said, monitarily it made sense to me, i should have under 10K invested in the engine by doing the work myself.
i'm still in the building stage of my ss7, so i can't give you any numbers. but i think you are considering the right aircraft to build.
ken

TShark
05-23-2012, 07:31 AM
Thanks for the replies. I realize that asking how many hours of building are left upon engine installation varies greatly with attention to detail and modifications. Can someone give me a ballpark figure regarding percentage of the build that can be completed prior to engine installation (i.e. 3/4 of the build will most likely be done be prior to engine installation). I think LSA useable weight will still be acceptable if I am willing to make the commitment to the basics.

Jim
05-23-2012, 07:48 AM
I just weighed my S5 with a 0-200 engine. I have a light weight starter, no alternator & used the Cessna 150 exhaust. I ran a heavy welding cable from the battery (we have winter here) and used all steam gauges. The weight with oil @ residual fuel came in at 822 lbs. Jim

HighWing
05-23-2012, 05:15 PM
I might try here. In the old days, there were plans for an engine mock up in the build manual. It consisted of a flat plywood shape with a plywood "propeller flange". This was then bolted to the engine mount and allowed for the fitting and finishing of the cowling. Mounting the engine, prop, fitting the cowling and wiring the engine instruments, I think, is pretty much what you would be leaving for last during the build. If I were to guess, I would think it would be something in the neighborhood of 40 - 80 hours for engine install, Prop install, cowling and wiring. Factors in the total would be what you want in the finished airplane. Round gauges are straightforward and simple, glass panels like a lot more sensors and wiring a harness is a bit different than simply connecting two wires from a sensor to a gauge, and that adds time. Another factor might be how custom you want the install - I think I spent more than a couple of weeks on the cowling (full time) when I was helping a guy finish a Series V. He wanted a flap over the NACA duct on the bottom of his cowl that was adjustable from the cockpit. I know that was Rotax specific, but don't forget the baffling you will custom build for your engine. I installed the baffling on a Lancair IV in a couple of days, but the system was in the manual as part of the kit and the parts came rough cut with brackets, seals and hardware. Then don't forget the registration and airworthiness inspection and any lead time for ordered parts. With all the honey do's it would probably take me two or three months - ore even more.
Lowell